Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine45_gw

oh dear! skunk under cement pool area

sunshine45
13 years ago

There's a skunk that has enlarged a chipmunk hole (and evicted the chipmunks!) right under the cement of my inground pool area. This happened a last year on the side of the pool (there's a long skunk-fight drama with bumbling local cops that goes along THAT hole. . .Needless, to say, after fighting with and killing its babies, it left the area and we filled the hole.), but this time, it's right at the steps.

I actually was walking above the hole late last evening when it started to come out (I put plastic bags or fabric in the hole when s/he's in there, so then when she's out, the bag or cloth is out, too). The bag started to rustle as I stood over it. Yikes.

Have tried fox urine, coyote urine, a dish soap/castor oil spray I found on an earlier thread at Gardenweb, moth balls (yes, then I read about their carcinogenic nature on another thread and I fished them out), the radio, ammonia. Have covered the hole with a rock when the skunk is away. . .it just digs another hole.

Am not comfortable moving a live trapped animal in my vehicle, though I have read that people do this. Also don't want to hurt or poison the animal. I think it has other burrows nearby. I wish it would move to those!

Can't enjoy the pool in the evening or even do yard work because we don't want to startle the skunk.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

You don't have much of a choice, I don't think. In most states, it is against the law to relocate such an animal, even if you wanted to. You'll really and truly have to trap it and take it to animal control for disposal.

I don't blame you for not wanting to kill it yourself, but you should let someone else do it. Don't be held hostage by skunks! Your pool season probably isn't that long to begin with.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Get some things together - loose dirt, some BIG rocks, a couple of yards of hardware cloth, hot chili powder, and some stiff wire bent into hairpins about 6 inches long.

When she leaves in the evening, fill the hole with as much dirt as you can shove in there. Pack it in, water it down and pack some more in.

Then lay the hardware cloth over the site of the hole, covering dirt and lapping onto the cement - pin it in place with the wire hairpins and hold it down with the rocks. Liberally sprinkle the area with chili powder.

She may get discouraged enough to move under the neighbor's porch.

Any sign of digging needs to have an immediate refill of dirt, wire shield, rocks and deterrent.

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

There is another problem. Most female skunks have their babies in May and June, so she may have a litter under there. If so, she may dig another entry to get back to them.

If you watched/waited until she left at night (they're mostly nocturnal), could you look under there with a strong flashlight and see if she does have youngsters there?

You could also call your local Fish and Wildlife (or Fish and Game) Dept (look under State Dept of.... in the front part of your phone book) and ask for advice. They may even take care of it for you.

But if you go the trapping route, be sure to get a SHORT (height) trap. I've heard that skunks really hate to get their own spray on themselves, and they can't spray very well unless they can raise their tail.

Approach the trap holding a piece of decently heavy clear plastic in front of you (4 or 6 mil is good), and then lower the plastic over the trap. Be sure to have a complete plan in place, and have an open pickup truck to put the trap/skunk in (still covered with plastic).

I've heard that most people who have dogs don't have skunks. True or false, I don't know.

Solve all your skunk-entry problems immediately after you solve your current skunk problem. As you can see, trying to fix it with a skunk in the middle of it isn't easy.

Sue

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!