Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a bug ID. Its eating my bean plants

Posted by Peppertime none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 14:32

I think it's a Japanese beetle but not positive. They are making Swiss cheese out of my bean plants. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a bug ID. Its eating my bean plants

All you have to do is type Japanese Beetle into google...press search....then press Images....and you will be able to see for yourself in about 5 seconds that that is a Japanese Beetle.

Unless you have two or three hundred feet of bean rows, you could spray with insecticidal soap....then follow afterwards with a bucket with a little soapy water in it to toss the still squirming culprits in.

These beetles don't stay on the scene for very long, thankfully.

o

Japanese Beetles feed on many plants and if the numbers are fairly low the simplest means of control is to go out early in the morning, before they warm up enough to fly away, and knock them off the plant into a bucket of soapy water (the soap keeps them from flying out of the bucket).
I have not found Insecticidal Soap to be very effective as a control for these buggers, but Neem Oil products and pyrethrin based sprays do when used with due care since they are vey broad spectrum poisons that will also kill off beneficial insects.
I have seen reports that indicate these Japanese Beetles are devloping immunity to Carbaryl and Malathion due to over exposure, genetic modification.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Japanese Beetles

o

Good advice from kimmsr, but I will add that neem doesn't work well to kill the beetles directly. It IS pretty effective as an anti-feedant /growth regulator.

Another product very helpful as an anti-feedant is 'Surround ', a special kaolin clay spray used to protect plants against some insect species, as well as heat and sun damage.

o

Good advice from kimmsr, but I will add that neem doesn't work well to kill the beetles directly. It IS pretty effective as an anti-feedant /growth regulator.

Another product very helpful as an anti-feedant is 'Surround ', a special kaolin clay spray used to protect plants against some insect species, as well as heat and sun damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here