Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
termites in my stockpile of woodchips

Posted by doctorsteve CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 07 at 14:42

Last month I had two trees taken down, and got a substantial pile of woodchips, which I have been planning to use as mulch.

Today, I started to shovel chips into the wheelbarrow, and found that the woodchip pile is swarming with termite workers. This seems like a different scenario than most I've found in searches, which are people wondering whether woodchips will "attract" termites, or worrying about finding some in a bag. Here I've undoubtedly got a native colony -- thankfully at the back property line and not near any structures.

Wondering if I should count this pile as a loss, or whether transporting barrelloads of chips with termites to garden beds (nearer, though not touching, house or shed) will pose a risk or instead will just remove bunches of workers from their nice moist mound to die lonely deaths when a thinner layer of mulch they are now in dries out.

Reason seems to tell me that unless I happen to relocate the queen, they are not going to establish a new colony wherever I dump a wheelbarrow-full of them, but if I'm wrong, it would be a potentially costly mistake.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: termites in my stockpile of woodchips

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 3:44

Your reasoning is correct.

o
RE: termites in my stockpile of woodchips

Thanks, Jean. It seemed logical, but I needed some reassurance. I think I've picked up some of that homeowner tendency to have the reaction to seeing termites that medieval Europeans had when they saw signs of the leprosy.

Still, it's a good lesson for me in showing how quickly a nest can be established when the conditions are ripe for it. (From what I've read, it's unlikely they were a colony that was established in the tree from which the chips were made, as they would not have survived the chipper, or at least so lots of websites claim.) But much of the wood was probably already rotting, so it quickly got moist and inviting.

(OK, now that I've lost my excuse to stop shoveling, I guess it's back to work in the garden!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here