Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow jackets and wicker furniture!

Posted by molie z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 08 at 14:47

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the place to go for my problem, but does anyone have any idea why yellow jackets land on my wicker deck furniture? They seem to enjoy flying INTO it, not the cushions but the wicker itself. They fly between the woven bands and spend a lot of time "inside" that furniture.

I really worry that someone will get stung without seeing them. Should I spray the furniture? With what? What will keep them away and not be harmful to humans?

Molie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow jackets and wicker furniture!

Is this white wicker?
I have noticed over the years that Yellow Jackets seem to be more attracted to white than any other color, at least if I am out in a white T Shirt they whiz around me more so than if I have on a darker color.

o

Is it real wicker or the other man-made material? If real, then they are collecting material for their nest, I'd guess. Yellow jacket nests are made of a paper-like product, processed by the insects from all kinds of wood or paper sources.

o

Kimmsr, it's natural rather than white, but it may have a finish of some kind of it.

Rhizo... it's real wicker,not man-made, and seems to be unraveling in spots. Soooo, they're looking for nesting material.... now what do I do? I am afraid that any insecticide will be absorbed into the material and then into the people that sit on the chairs.

How long do these critters nest? Are there any kinds of nontoxic materials/products that yellow jackets avoid? I ask because one thing I really enjoy after a long day is sitting in one of those chairs with a drink in my hand.

Sad Molie, here.

o

Ha, I sympathize with you! I love to sit outside with a book (and a drink) only to have paper wasps land on the pages to collect nesting material!

You might try spraying your furniture with a clear coating of some kind (enamel, varnish, etc.) That's about the only thing that I can think of. I'd never suggest that you use a pesticide.

o

I hadn't seen any yellow jackets so far this summer nor did I see many last year. I took a big cusion off of my couch.. I hadn't put anything on it yet.3 minutes past and I went back outside and they were all over it. It's white. Is there some kind of attraction?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here