Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkunkel_gw

Thrips out of controll!

jkunkel
16 years ago

Could someone please give me some advice on how to get rid of these darn things! They are swarming around my garden and my house. They even start biteing me when I walk out of my house on the front porch. I really don't want to remove my flowers though, ive worked so hard on my garden. This is very discouraging, I don't want my kid or I to get bit, but ive spent so much time and money on my precious flowers. HELP!! Ive been spraying insecticide, and they won't go away. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (25)

• jean001
    16 years ago

Can you describe them? Size, color, and whatever else you see?

Beyond that, swarming around isn't something that thrips normally do. so I suspect it's something else.

Stop spraying until you get a firm identification. The critters may be only nuisance value which you can avoid at certain times of day, or by not using colorful clothing and/or fragrances of any kind.

In any event, the spray would have to contact the critters to be effective.

• jkunkel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

this is what they look like but they are very small like one sixteenth of an inch, yellowish in color, they seem to calm down at night. Some of them have wings and the others are just crawling all over my yellow stella d' Oro daylilies.
    {{gwi:249976}}
    I try not to use pesticides if I don't need to. when they get on my arms, they bite and it itches for a few minuites.

• jean001
    16 years ago

Okay. That's a nice photo. But I need to ask -- Did you take it or did you find it online?

Sorry for the suspicious mind at this end, but I find that many people often mis-identify what they think is the problem. Only when they bring a sample into our office, can we be certain their ID is correct.

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

Since thrips are not very good flyers and I have not known of anyone ever bitten by one I'd strongly suspect what you have is not thrips.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Thrips absolutely, positively bite! Some species are considered real annoyances of humans, causing allergic reactions, rashes, etc. They can access homes through window screens and bite people in their own homes. They are not seeking a blood meal, or attempting to feed on us in anyway, but simply use those rasping mouthparts to judge if we ARE edible. This results in very annoying pinpricks of pain, much like that of a 'no-see-um'. As a matter of fact, lots of people are probably being bothered by thrips in the garden, but assume that they are tiny 'no-see-ums'!

Those thrip species that do fly, will swarm during mating season and will also fly from plant to plant in search of a better meal.

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

Thrips, according to all the entomolygists I have read, are very poor flyers but can travel with the wind. In many years of working in Emergency Medicine I have not yet treated anyone for thrip reactions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrips

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Isn't it a great day when one can learn something new? I'll bet, Kimmsr, that you'll keep your eyes open in the garden so that you can see them for yourself! You'll be amazed at what you'll observe. ;-)

The attached link summarizes some information about thrips and their swarming and biting habits. Don't be led astray by the fact that the study is from two southern states. That's just where this particular research was done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• Wmrstj_frontier_com
    12 years ago

I live in Francisco Indiana and I'm dealing with these ridiculous things everyday. I try to go lay out in the pool and end up going in because I keep getting little bites that hurt and itch like hell. After a couple minutes I have a red bumpy rash all over my arms and legs where they bit me, it's horrible. I hate it!!! It's been two days since I've been outside and I still have the red bumps and they still itch I will be so glad when these things chill out!!!

• firstlady19782000_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

OMG! I see these little orange bugs everywhere I go actually. Not just in front of my house! I get bitten on my arms all of the time. My better half doesnt feel them or see them. But I do! I suspect its because men just have thicker skin than women and its easier for me to feel them. I have been trying to find out what these things are for years. I wear long sleeves in the summer because they annoy me so much. I see them on any exposed skin but the skin on my legs isnt as sensitive so the bite doesnt hurt as much. These are microscopic nightmare-ish pests and i wish they would go away! I thought they were no-see-ums also. Looks like no one really knows what these things are. From what i can tell, the shape of the insect in the pic looks exactly like what is biting me and the color is spot on also. I HATE THESE THINGS!!!!!!

• moriahlane_hotmail_co
    12 years ago

I have gotten bit over 30 times yesterday. All over my back, thighs and other places. They sure do bite! We went down last night to look at the chair I was sitting in and we saw three with the flashlight. How many times can one bite you?

• mvermillion_ohiohills_com
    12 years ago

They most certainly BITE!!!!!!! Our swimming pool is full of them and I wish someone would post a way to safely rid our family of the pests. I have 3 small children that want to go swimming but I am concerned because the pool is infested with them. As soon as you get near the pool they start biting and do not stop untill you run in the house!!!! Please if there is a solution PLEASE POST and THANKS

• IpmMan
    12 years ago

You don't say what you have been treating with.
    You have to use the right chemicals for the right problem. The most recent development for Thrip control would be Spinosad, which works very well. As with all pesticides do not over use it and rotate with other products. Thrip reproduce and develop resistance quickly.
    PS. I did not know that Thrips bite either, I guess you do learn something new every day, thanks.

• sullenberg_aol_com
    12 years ago

I thought I was going crazy or had no see ums, but now I know my problem is biting, stinging thrips. I base this on description alone as I can see nothing probably because my eyesight is terrible. They are sooooo painful and ATTACK any part of my skin which is uncovered as soon as I walk out the door. They are the worst in the hot sun. They do not leave a welt of any kind. I have several acres of lawn and a huge flower/vegetable garden. I don't know where I would begin to spray insecticide. I am also worried about damage to my plants, particularly tomatoes and roses. Can anyone offer any suggestions.

• dawnstulee
    12 years ago

i saw somewhere online that skin-so-soft w/ water sprayed around pool and put in the pool water worked. i am buying some so i'll let u know. i don't think many pesticides would work for me cause i line in the mountains of KY and these bugs are mainly moved by wind.

• jockboyzracing
    8 years ago

I was searching for a name to call these dang things. You can't have an uncovered glass of water on the porch. I cover my glass and they get in the condensation. I keep a bucket of water for my dog on the porch and they cover the surface of it.

I was unable to cut any peonies to bring in the house. I noticed the brown dashes on the kitchen window. Soaped and washed the window, then there would be more.

And, yes they bite. What a pest.

• Danielle S. Wags
    4 years ago

Soooooo how in tf do i get them to STOP BITING! Or obviously prevent them from being attracted to me. They really are an inconvenience especially when hanging friends.. cook outs

• Britany Milewski
    4 years ago

Someone hellpp. Has anyone found a solution to these little A-holes. theyre swarming my pool and i dont have plants around my pool. Tiki torches dont help

• Brandon Freeman
    3 years ago

These things drive me nuts!!!! They do fly, and they do bite. They are so hard to see on my skin too. I'll feel a bite and look at my arm and finally I see the little Shi*. I'm standing on my porch right now typing this message and just had one land on the screen of my phone. I would love for someone to post a tried-and-true way to get rid of these.

• Kara Quintero
    3 years ago

Omg these things are the absolute WORST! no one else i talk to even knows what I'm talking about until I can catch one on me and show them! They attack me and swarm around me I see them just floating all around me if I can look somewhere outside with sun and a darker background behind where I'm looking. It's crazy that I'm "the only one" they attack!! I can't stand going outside because of them! And they wind up on my phone screen too!

• Tara Campbell
    2 years ago

They bite and if you have a dander or dust mite sensitivity like I do you will have a reaction. They bite and set my histamines off. I tried OFF 3 different kinds and they don't work. Vicks warmed to liquid up mixed with liquid coconut oil and rubbing alcohol has seemed to give me greasy but temporary relief. They also like to go to steamy windows. Check those house plants and the

• Charlene Black
    2 years ago

They claim these things don't bite, but they're full of it. They're covering my pool, my concrete porches, and are even crawling on my siding. Awhile back I sprayed some kind of insecticide that hooks to the water hose that also kills springtails, and it worked for the rest of that year. I'm doing that this time and also sprinkling demescise earth (I know it's not spelled correctly, but you understand) and hopefully that'll help even better. Good luck!

• Shane Contreras-Redfern
    2 years ago

We get them bad in the UK around mid to late summer (this time of the year right now) They are very bad, you can feel them crawling on you when you go outside during their peak which is normally for 1-2 weeks a year, Id assume thats breeding season for them... we also call them thunderbugs because they show up during the times when we have the most thunderstorms in the UK but they are thrips for sure, I just came in from working on installing a light in the front of my house and im absolutely covered in them when I came back inside, they also come in through the windows if we have them open, what we have done that helps for us inside is we spray the whole area around the windows and windowsill with flying insect killer which kills them once they start to come through the window into the house as they always land where we sprayed when they come in, it helps reduce the numbers we get inside the house, but doesnt harm any bugs who stay outside, only kills them if they come in the window. we only found this worked after trying many things to stop the infestations this time of year. We even had thrips get into our computer screens and one got under our Ipad screen and we couldnt get them out of the monitors or ipad so we had to replace them or live with the bug in the screen for the rest of the time we owned it, luckily apple swapped our ipad at no cost because it shouldnt have been able to get under the screen in the first place they said so we only had to buy a new monitor that year, after that mess though we started trying solutions an this is the only one which worked in the house, as for while we are outside, the only real thing you can do is to spray yourself with an insect spray like OFF in america better to use deep jungle off there in UK they have similar brands that do the same too. Sorry to anyone who is going crazy with these pests... hope this helps some for you.

• Rachel Ott
    last year

My Dog has been bringing Thrips in the House. I was getting bitten every day, and night. I realized that I have been eating too much sugar, which is not the norm for me. Apparently, I was a very tasty morsel. I cut way back on the sugar and started eating raw garlic. I'm not so tasty now, and I'm not getting bit nearly as much. Plus, there are health benefits to eating raw garlic.

I eat the garlic with Avocado, or Plain Yogurt. Either one makes it easier to take.

Just in case you are wondering why I don't think that its fleas biting me, my Dog is on oral flea stuff, and it works. Apparently, it works to kill Thrips too, because I am finding them dead.

I hate using Pesticides because so many beneficial insects are killed in the bargain.

• do f Williams
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Thrips invaded my house in Pennsylvania the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It's now January 15th and I've finally had 2 days free of them. I use peppermint essential oil to keep them off me. Off and deet are useless. The ones I killed have been identified as idolothripinae. Native to the Philippines and SE Asia. We buy things from wal mart or online that comes from China, well now their Thrips and Mites are here. And they are very aggressive. I own no plants and it's taken me all of 6 weeks to get to this point. They disappeared for a week or so around Christmas but that is when the Mites, spider and bird were most prevalent. I know that it was warm after Thanksgiving and had a wood stove going to get the chill out of the air. Well it got a little too hot and I stupidly turned on an AC unit. Just for a few mins I thought. I vividly remember seeing what looked like a whisp of smoke float by as I watched football. I smoke, but looked at my ashtray and thought, that's weird, I put that out ten minutes ago. That "whisp" was their eggs. By morning it was already too late. Within a week they had gotten into everything and were crawling "all" over me. Biting, trying to get into my eyes. The mites came about a week later. Craziest thing I've ever experienced. I having no plant knowledge had to find answers and fast as everything on the Internet said they were harmless, and did not bite. Lol. Not only did they bite, 3 eventually got into my eyes. I would have to deal with at least 50 a day trying. They would also spray eggs as they fly by. More than once I'd look down only to see their eggs and fluid across my shirt. They also are very vindictive. Once a couple weeks back after they resurfaced the 2nd time I found they had made a huge nest in a small crevice between cabinets. I sprayed them and killed them with a sulfur h202 and vinegar mixture (figured that one out. Kills them and their eggs all in one.). That night I was about to fall asleep, and thought I saw the whisps. I drifted in and out of sleep. I suddenly felt an urge to get up. I started to sit up and noticed a small batch of eggs just to the left of me on my comforter. When. I sat up completely to my shock they had laid eggs all around my head. On the pillow and comforter. They are some real sons a B's. But now I am adept at handling them, and getting them out of my clothes, since they would nest in my dryers door gasket. Also the were in my vehicle and would hatch when I turned the heater on. Even worse is they would hatch from what looked like perfectly clean clothing I just took out of the dryer while I was at work. Adding some sulfur powder to the laundry fixed that. The car is being helped as we speak with a cold spell we are getting here. Temp has been below freezing for 2 days. 3 or more should wipe them out. So I turned the heat on full blast on the way to work, so that they hatch only to be stuck in freezing temps for 10 hrs while I work. It's been quite the ordeal. But I've learned the internet hides what these things have evolved to. Not to mention the article in 2020 talking of how the military has started using them for farming purposes to inject plants with whatever. Basically story goes they could stop a plague of locusts by unleashing them and other aphids ahead of the locusts, as they eat the crops they are injecting a chemical to stop the locust and whala no plague. The reality is it's a kick ass bio weapon. At any rate if anyone ends up in a situation like mine, here is what I've learned. H202 kills their eggs. Vinegar kills the insect. Combining the peroxide and vinegar creates paracitic acid. Be careful, it will burn some if left on skin. But it really decimates them. Then using wettable sulfur will kill adults as well as repel if sprayed about your home or yard. Peppermint oil alone is the best repellant if they are aggressive and biting. Air diffusers that you can use essential oils with also help keep them at bay but they won't keep them away if they are hellbent. They killed themselves killing my 1st diffuser. Then the ones that didn't die laid eggs all over the interior of the thing. Was pissed but admired their resolve. At any rate hope this helps someone. Lord knows how desperate I was when this became my life for the last several weeks. I pray this last bout was the end of it. I am moving from this place in a few weeks. But they say it only takes 1 female which can lay 10000 eggs, and the party starts all over again. Good luck.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County