Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stray dogs digging in garden

Posted by bcliver z7 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 05 at 17:25

Hi folks,

Any suggestions for deterring stray dogs from digging in my flower beds? It happens every once in a while. They dig, leave a calling card, and make a mess. Mothballs? Amonia? I don't want to hurt them, just deter them.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stray dogs digging in garden

An aunt told me once that an easy way to break a dog of digging is to bury a balloon. when it pops, it usually ends the digging.

o

Bury a balloon? How many balloons does one have to bury? What if the dog just decides to dig to China in no particular place? Dogs dig to DIG. It is instinctual, particularly in terriers. There's not much in the way of "control" that you can muster except to call your local animal control organisation. A dog at large won't be around too long, however. They are usually hit by cars. Sadly, it is the dog who pays for the owners ignorance.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Name Is Sam

o

Not sure what size of area you are wanting to control but there is a battery powered ultrsonic device that works for dogs, I have enclosed a link for you to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Away

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here