Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdav1301

Controlling Stinkhorn smell?

MDav1301
12 years ago

Have a small (so far) outbreak of stinkhorns (dog?) right below my beautiful rose bushes in the mulch in the West facing front of my home. I know that there's not really anything you can do to completely get rid of them, that they're not harmful to kids or pets and are not bad for your flowers. They are, however, smelling really, really bad. I'm not interested in replacing all of my mulch (which I may have overmulched, not sure) or paying loads of money to have something done (which is that a ripoff anyway?). I would, however, like to at least try to control them a bit so they don't take over the entire bed covering the front of the house. I've been covering the actual mushrooms with plastic bags before digging them up so as to prevent the spores from flying, and then digging up the "eggs" (there's always at least 5-10 large ones for every mushroom and then small (bean sized) ones dispersed throughout the mulch. I bag them and throw them away. I read to try to remove the surrounding mulch but I feel like I'm just spreading them everywhere! I also read to rake and turn the mulch periodically, but considering all the warnings on NOT spreading the spores is this wise? It obviously needs it, it gets the white moldy looking stuff pretty thick underneath. So my plan for now is to remove the mushrooms, the "eggs" I can find, and leave the mulch and then in the heat of the day rake and spread the mulch. Does this sound right? It's manageable now, not sure what I would do if they grow completely out of control.

Only other question is if there is something to spray in the area that covers the smell? That's the really annoying part.

Thanks,

Molly

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Collect, put in plastic bag, secure and put in trash. Continue as needed.

They won't get completely out of control because the environmental conditions will change -- warmer and drier.

Sprays won't stop them from growing nor will they cover the smell.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what kind of mulch do you use?

• MDav1301
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honestly I'm not sure. My brother got it (they live around the corner from us) and dropped a bunch of bags off for us. It's wood and dark brown (not the black). I'm tempted next year to completely clear out the mulch and get rocks if it ends up being too much work (I'm kind of sick of pulling them out at this point). I'm not sure if rubber mulch would help or if it would be too expensive. ??

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Oh, come on....don't lose faith with the mulch! The stinkhorns are only temporary, after all....and they won't keep appearing once the mulch is 'digested'. It's that ugly fruiting body that is the stinky part....I hate to tell you but the 'white, moldy looking stuff' is the mycelium and hyphae of the mushroom...the true fungus body responsible for the decomposition of the mulch. It continues to do its work even if you remove all of the stinkhorns. That stuff isn't stinky, though.

Mulch composed of organic matter (something that was once alive...like bark, wood chips, pine straw, etc.) is hugely beneficial to the soil/root system of your beautiful roses. This type of mulch buffers the soil from temperature extremes and from drought; it provides an environment for the absolutely essential soil microorganisms that support plant life; organic mulch is a slow source of nutrients as it decomposes (thank you, stinkhorn, et al).

Rock does nothing to benefit the soil/root system and rubber mulch...you gotta be kidding? Molly, do you know how toxic that stuff is?

OK, your mulch layer shouldn't be any more than 2 to 4 inches (at MOST). In my experience with stinkhorns, they are more common in wood chip mulch rather than pine bark or pine straw. I'd simply keep removing them...the reproduction period (when the mushrooms emerge) will cease soon. As Jean mentioned, climatic conditions will change and the triggers to form the mushrooms will disappear. Daylength has something to do with the emergence of some mushrooms, too.

• MDav1301
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I honestly don't want to change to rocks or rubber mulch (and no, didn't know it was toxic, is the stuff on the playgrounds toxic too? I have a four year old!) I love how mulch looks, not that that's a good reason. I know very little about landscaping (like the "didn't know what annuals vs. perennials were two years ago" kind of inexperienced)and was getting pretty excited over how involved I've gotten this year and how I didn't kill any plants, so I think I just got discouraged by the smelly things, and panicked when I read some accounts of how they "got out of control". I felt like I was screwing up everything I'd accomplished somehow. But it's been drier the past last night and sunny all day today and none popped up. (Although I can smell some, which means they're in a neighbor's yard or are hiding under bushes in my yard and I just can't see them).

I still think we may have overmulched, not even in relation to the mushrooms, just that we got it too thick. Does that hurt any of the plants or is it the type of thing where we can just leave it and not add any next year?

Thanks for the help by the way!!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I felt like I was screwing up everything I'd accomplished somehow.

No way! All kinds of interesting things will grow in mulch, as said above. It's just part of the decomposition process and the end results are beneficial to your plants.

Does that hurt any of the plants or is it the type of thing where we can just leave it and not add any next year?

If the plants are growing, they are fine with it. Nobody can say if you should add more next spring but you - since you will be able to see your garden.