Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am looking for plants that repel knats and mosquitos

Posted by idahocowboy zone 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 20:38

I have a huge mosquito problem and swarming knats. I am looking for plants that repel both, and ticks too. I am going to plant them randomly around the property and especially around the house.

I have 10 acres in Priest River Idaho and it is very rural. There is no standing water to explain the mosquito problem. I am trying to get a garden started (better late than never) but the bugs are enough to make a person go insane.

I got a list of some plants, like catnip and citronella grass and rosemary and marigolds. Rosemary as I understand it is a tropic plant and doesn't do well in cold. Catnip is zone 3/4, so would it survive up here? I can't find a source for citronella grass, or even much info on it.

Any help including other recommendations would be great. Chemicals are out of the question. I can't afford to buy massive amounts of assorted ingredients to treat even just the area around the house, so planting plants that are self sustaining and a one time cost is the best option for me.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am looking for plants that repel knats and mosquitos

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 1:22

Sorry, no plants effective.

But you can protect yourself by avoiding hours the mosquitoes are out; use Deet repellent according to directions, along w/long sleeves and pants.

o
RE: I am looking for plants that repel gnats and mosquitos

Lemon grass is reputed to have mosquito repelant properties, but I've not seen anything to indicate that or anything else is very effective against gnats.

o

Catnip oil is said to be more effective that DEET at repelling mosquitoes so you could try planting some of those

o

The research I've seen says that no plant in the ground will keep mosquitoes away -- even those commonly used in repellents. The repellents need to be on your skin.

There are some very effective ways to nearly eliminate mosquites from your garden, mind you, such as the "vacuum traps" that burn a little propane for CO2/heat and release attractants, then suck in the mosquitoes and dessicate them. However, those devices are expensive, and I've heard they're not very durable.

o

karen and jean are so right. There are many plants that contain repellent oils but those oils must be processed so that they can be applied to the skin.

You can purchase natural repellents containing many of those oils, if you are sensitive to Deet, or are nervous about its side effects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here