Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sabadilla dust anyone?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 0:14

I have used sabadilla dust in the past for successful control of squash bugs but can no longer find any ... had Red Devil written on the bag I had.

Also, has anyone used DEMON? I ordered it online as a powder and make up a spray for bugs around the outside of the house; sure works on roaches and supposed to be harmless to animals and children once it dries but still keeps working on the bugs. Made from pyrethrins I believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sabadilla dust anyone?

Pyrethriod, not pyrethrin. The former are synthetic and have a much longer lasting capacity. The actual active ingredient in Demon is cypermethrin, a very commonly used pyrethroid. It should not be considered harmless, however. Anyone who has been ill, who is very young or old, has an impaired liver function, or is on medication that may effect liver function should not be exposed to this product.

It is a catagory II (EPA signal word is 'warning')pesticide, which makes it worthy of finding out why! You should protect your skin and your eyes when using this product, as it can cause irritation. But, I think the real hazard is in the storage and breakdown of this material. According to the MSDS on Demon WP, hydrogen cyanide gas can form in the container under normal conditions, as well as in storage in high temperatures. Eeek.

Just didn't want you to think you were using pyrethrins.

o

Dunhill Chemical makes a sabadilla product called veratran D @ $196 / 50 lb. It's on sale now for 25% off from Peaceful Valley organic garden products (groworganic.com). I don't know of another sabadilla product still in production.

o

It's worth noting that sabadilla products are difficult to find because of the numbers of side effects reported after its use, both for commercial users and homeowners.

o

Using Sabadilla today is greatly frowned on because it is a very broad spectrum poison and has been found to be as bad as the Carbaryls and organophosphates, although not quite as bad as another "natural" poison, Arsenic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here