Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on boric acid spray

Posted by alzie2 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 1:41

When using boric acid spray for ant control, is it necessary to spray the insects directly or is it adequate to spray the area. Will the ants pick up the boric acid even though the spray has dried up??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on boric acid spray

Although I have heard some wee bit about spraying a Boric Acid solution to keep ants away, and it might be somewhat effective while wet, when dry the ants would probably not pick any up and it would not be effective.
I have heard of making a bait of molasses, usually black strap, with a small quantity of Boric Acid mixed in which then does poison the ants. The recipe I recall is 1 tablespoon Boric Acid in 1 cup of molasses and placed outside away from where the ants were gaining entry into the house.
In the house Lemon Juice or Peppermint oil can be used to redirect the wee buggers back outside.
Keep in mind that Boric Acid can be a poison in humans and pets so due care in use and storage is necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here