Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to kill wire worms?

Posted by gailuvscats 6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 9:10

Is there a way to prevent further damage to my large maple trees. ONe is on its way out, and I noticed the damage on the other for the first time this spring. I have seen the worms and I have seen the click beetle.

any suggestions would be appreciated, I do not want to lose these trees.

thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to kill wire worms?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 14:59

I've responded to your question in several other places. My response is still the same.

The wireworms (larvae of the eyed click beetle in your photo) are predators; they eat boring beetles.

Stressed trees are sitting ducks for wood borers. Unfortunately, those borers are often the final straw that kills the tree. In other words, the prognosis is poor.

To put it another way, likely something serious has gone wrong for your tree. It will be easier for someone who visits your tree tell what's going on.

You would be wise to have a *certified arborist* or two come for an onsite evaluation. You'll find listings in the Yellow Pages under the heading of Trees, Tree Care, or something similar.

good luck.

o

Thank you for your responses. I can call an aborist, but I was hoping to get suggestions on how to stop or slow down the trees demise without having to hire a professional. I did a search onoline and did find a suggestion to make bait traps and destroy them that way. I am not inclined to pay someone to tell me the tree is dying, and I have wireworms. I know that. I am going to post the same question in the tree forum. Maybe an arborist belongs to the site and will offer some other suggestions.
thanks again

o

Those wire worms are a symptom of the problem you have, not the problem and an arborist can help you determine just what the real problme is.

o

Cultivate the soil throughly for a month in the fall to expose/destroy larvae. Get some chickens and let them run wild and eat the larvae (seriously). Bury raw potato pieces 4"-6" deep to attract the larvae. check every 1-2 days and kill the grown worms. apply parasitic nematodes to your soil.

o

I am growing garlic for the first time!!!!I have noticed I have wire worms.I would like to know what pesticied to use that will kill the worm and not hurt my budding garlic.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here