Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remnam

Caribbean Crazy Ants

remnam
12 years ago

Hard to believe that Caribbean crazy ants (CC ants) are so prevalent in the south, spreading so fast and yet, there is very little written about them. Nor is the government or apparently any private business enterprise (insecticide companies?) seemingly interested. But talk to anyone that has been infested with them all over their house or property and it is a VERY real problem. There is an opportunity for someone to make some money here, but no one seems to be trying yet.

I have been dealing with CC ants for the 3rd year now in West Central FL. I have more than 3 acres of land, 2 of which is good old Florida swamp. The CC ants are everywhere outside. But they are not inside my house, unless I lapse in my defense against them.

I am not a professional exterminator, nor am I in the business in any way. I am just a home owner trying to deal with this problem with little help from the rest of the world. But I (and my neighbors) have discovered how to keep the CC ants outside.

You have to create a barrier outside, around the perimeter of your house. I do this using DemonWP insecticide. I buy this online from this site, but you can find it elsewhere probably. But I have not found it in Home Depot, Lowes or other big box stores.

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/Product/Demon-WP-Pack

It comes in powder form, mix with water in 1 gal sprayer, and I spray around base of my house at least 2 times a week. A gallon should last at least a few weeks. Just a light spray seems to work. Just create a barrier on the wall, near the ground.

I also use Termidor to kill the nests, if I can find any. This is a termite poison, but works on these SOBs. The problem is finding their nests. They like to live in oak trees, but do nest in the ground. Look at any oak trees you have on your property and you will probably see trails of the industrious little buggers racing up and down in one or more trails. I spray a band of the Termidor completely around the circumference of the tree and that seems to kill that nest. However, not forever. If you can find a nest on the ground (look under stones steps, wood piles, etc.) hit it with Termidor.

The story on CC ants seems to be that they have multiple queens, will "create" new queens as necessary, and are very friendly with other CC ants. They will just all get along and keep multiplying until you stop them. Lots of anecdotal evidence of piles of dead bodies 1"-2" tall where they travel. At first, you think it is seeds or pollen or something. But close examination shows they are dead bodies. I had this 2 years ago. Now I don't.

Again, I am not selling anything. I am not an expert. I just am trying to share the info I have on what works for me and my neighbors. This is free info and if you don't believe it, want to argue about it, or think I just took the time to write all this for some weird reason, please carry on with your lives and leave me alone.

Free info is worth what you pay for it. Use it or not. Someday, somebody will spend the time and money to find a solution to this any problem. Eradication seems impossible where I live, but I guess it could happen. For now, I am content to keep the little CC ants from entering my house and driving me crazy. They already are. I don't want to join them.

Oh yeah, we used to have fire ant problems in W Central Fl. Not any more,. The CC ants seem to have gotten rid of most of them. But honestly, I would prefer the fire ants. They were much less numerous and easier to control.

Good luck. Remember Demon for a barrier. Termidor for the nests.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County