Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herselftheelf_gw

Help! I trapped a possum

herselftheelf
17 years ago

Its now in my Haveahart trap. I put it out for the bunnies. It looks VERY angry. Now what do I do?

Comments (10)

• tinamcg
    17 years ago

There isn't much you can do. It is illegal in Illinois to live trap and then release anyplace but your own property. You must be licensed to transport animals and release them in the forest preserve or in another neighborhood. I wouldn't even recommend putting it out for rabbits. We use a Havahart trap, but ONLY in our walkout basement, for the odd time when a chipmunk finds its way into the basement. Then we release it back into our yard.

Of course the possum is angry. Possums are nocturnal and it's nearing 100 degrees in Illinois today. The poor thing doesn't have food or water and may die. If there is any way you can stand back and use something to open the trap, do it and do it NOW.

Then stash the Havahart somewhere it can be used legally and safely -- inb your house.

Sorry if my tone seems a bit impatient, but our next door neighbor trapped a raccoon last year and let it sit, crying and fighting the trap, until he found a convenient time to dispose of it. After two full days, I threatened to report him to the county department of animal control.

• jimmy2n
    17 years ago

I tend to leave possums alone- they are a benefit to the environment and aside from a few chicken eggs they may take I don't usually do much about them. I have shot a few that were especially bad tempered ( a clean head shot) they never hear or feel. Be glad you did not trap a skunk.....

• dseerveld
    17 years ago

Opossums are usually harmless and nomadic. The only time they should be trapped and removed is if they have taken up residence in your attic, which does happen from time to time, especially a female opossum with babies. Otherwise, just open the Havahart trap, prop the door open with a stick, and let it free.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Get Rid of Opossums

• Elly_NJ
    17 years ago

Let it go. It will move on.

Do not trap and release mammals elsewhere. They will die when released out of their territory, so it is not the humane thing to do, if that is what you are trying to do.

• agringo
    16 years ago

How do I get a possum to move off the porch so I can let my cats out, I'm concerned because the possum would be trapped

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

agringo, run some bright lights to illuminate every corner of the porch at nights. I cannot say for how long you will have to do this but I feel that it will be about twenty one nights.

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

I've not seen a Possum that was detered by lights yet, they even come into my yard and garden in the daylight and at night the merely look up at the lights and then keep on feeding. The only reason a Possum would be in that placce is because there is food available and to get rid of that Possum you need to eliminate the food source.

• maupin
    16 years ago

I have a terrific recipe for possum stew.

• mlehman_mail_usf_edu
    13 years ago

It seems that you did not get much help for your opossum problem, since most people suggested letting it live in your yard. As some of us don't want opossums stealing chicken eggs, attacking our chickens, and potentially spreading diseases to our dogs, letting opossums remain in our yards is not an option. How did you end up solving your problem?

• hoodat
    13 years ago

Find a hungry redneck. Us folks knows what to do with a possum. Got any sweet taters to go with it?