Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pastrylord

Can Termites and Ants Coexist?

pastrylord
15 years ago

We have constantly had ants in our house since we have bought it. Ants come in and grab food bits out of the trash, or some crumbs on the floor, or just simply water.

These arent carpenter ants as far as I can tell, no wings, just common ants.

The other day, pest contol came in and inspected an area of the house that had water damage from a leak. After peeling away the carpet, he pointed to tiny light brown and black balls, and called those termite pellets. He then recommended getting the house fumigated.

Is he trying to scam me? Ive never once seen or heard a termite in the house, and ants were literally crawling out of the hole that he was pointing at.

I can easily buy that termites were in the house at one point in time, but what are the chances that termites can exist in a house with a heavy ant infestation?

Comments (6)

• ronalawn82
    15 years ago

pastrylord, it is essential that the insect(s) be positively identified. Without this prerequisite, you can spend a lot of money for termite control when the insects are ants. On the other hand you can try to control ants when the culprits are termites and you end up losing the structure.
    A very rough and ready guide to identification is that the bodies of ants have 3 segments which are fairly easy to see.
    The bodies of termites are more like small worms.
    Water damage, little pellets, hole in wood?.... I'm leaning towards termites.
    I have seen many and serious insect attacks but the closest I have come to hearing them was an instance of looper caterpillars chomping away on 75 acres of sugar cane, or was it my imagination?

• pastrylord
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After posting this Ive looked up the behaviors and appearances of the ants in the southern californian region. They are definately ants, and my amateur's guess is that they are argentine ants.

(Ive guessed this because two ant trails from two different nests have peacefully shared a gigantic glob of ant poison together, which apparently is only done by argentine ants.)

A previous pest control company found some pellets in the attic about a year ago, but said there was no evidence of termites currently living here.

This guy however will only say one thing...fumigation. I only have so much money, and Id rather spend that money on trying to actually repair the damage instead of spending it on fumigating the house to get rid of something that wasnt there in the first place.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

As a general rule of thumb finding traces of excrement from termites on a surface is highly unusual since they will be at work inside wood. On rare occasion I have seen termites around wood, in very moist soil, but seldom have I seen a termite (or signs of excrement), except when they swarm, in a dry environment.
    What I have experienced is that most people in the "pest control" business are scam artists.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Termites can exist in your home without you ever seeing the first insect. However, the signs can easily be recognised by trained professionals. I strongly suggest, as ronalawn suggested, that you find out for CERTAIN if you have termites, or not. What's your location, by the way? That will help us theorize insect species.

By no means are all pest control companies out to scam the public, by the way.

Ants can often be baited with a substance that they will take back to their nest and feed to the rest of the population. I've had superior luck with a commercial product by Terro. It comes as a pre-mixed boric acid and sugary syrup, in little plastic trays. Ants soon swarm the bait and after a few hours.....no more ants.

• pastrylord
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Im in San Diego.

Im pretty sure that the pellets are termite pellets, they look exactly the same as the pics shown via a quick google.

Personally though, Im more inclined to believe the first guy who said that there were termites pellets in the attic,but he didnt believe there were any termites present currently. My reasoning for this is because the ants were patrolling in and out of the area where the pellets were.

The ants at anyrate live outside and come in whenever there is food left about, and since there are multiple people, thats pretty often during the summertime.

The ants are a pretty simple nuisance and just takes a spraying of an ant trail leading into the house.

Are there any companies or organizations that will offer inspection services and ONLY inspection services? I would like to get the firsthand professional opinion from someone thatdoesnt profit from reccomending fumigation.

I basically just wanna remove any doubts of termites in the area for myself, as well as provide some proof to a realtor that the proper action was taken, should the house be sold at a later date.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Call and talk with them, but my experience is that a locally owned pest control company is more likely to come out and inspect without "selling" you a control program then one of the national chains, although we do have one )locally owned) that firmly believes that if you call them you have a problem they need to spray.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County