Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscanlin_gw

need advice on redirecting earthworm activity

jscanlin
18 years ago

Hi, all,

I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to give me some advice on controlling earthworm foraging. Have also posted on MetroNYGardener (my home area) but nothing forthcoming, so far.

Here's the problem. The earthworms in our garden are highly active in the spaces between the paving stones in the patio. Churning up the soil, uprooting the moss, generally making a mess. The pavers are set in sand, but it's mixed with dirt and there is a clay soil underneath. Guess the worms are coming up from that soil. I've tried watering them out of the cracks and putting them into the raised flower beds, but they don't seem to stay there. Or maybe there's just a huge population under the patio...

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to discourage the worms from tunnelling between the paving stones? I'm wondering if there are plants they don't like or whose roots they won't tunnel through, or safe substances I could treat the soil with, etc.? I don't want to hurt them, and I value their work, I just want to encourage them to party elsewhere ;)

Thanks!

Best,

Jen

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor