Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's this black caterpillar in white lacey web on echinops?

Posted by galileo z5 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 03 at 11:20

We hand picked them and destroyed them but someone on the New England gardening forum suggested they might be butterfly caterpillars.

I've never seen them before. The echinops is 12 years old and this year the bulbs (flowers) are being attacked by this critter, so the stems are bent over as if broken right under the bulb.

Anyone know what it might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's this black caterpillar in white lacey web on echinops?

Would it be possible to have a more detailed description? Markings, size, smooth or fuzzy or spiney? Also, an improved description of the web. I'm sure that you will get some assistance with a little more information!

o

I'm having the same problem in Massachusetts. The catepillar is black with horizontal stripes. Some leaves are curled up completely (I've opened them to see what's inside; removed the catepillar, but didn't know if I should squish it). Some leaves look like they've been eaten and there's a webbing around the hole in those leaves.

I also found a leaf covered in little brown disgusting crawlies with what looked like feces. Yuck!

Two other folks from Mass. have asked similar questions. Are we having an infestation?

Hope this gives more info to elicit more help from you knowledgeable folks! Thanks.

o

I'm looking for natural predators for Eastern Tent Catapillars.

o

I can't find the reference now. Was the caterpillar eating the Echinops the Red Admiral?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here