Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

What is this making tunnels?

homersgarden
17 years ago

We have lived in our house since October. So far I have not had any mole problems, but have found some holes that have been dug in my beds. These holes seem to be tunnels and are very extensive. The beds are raised and surrounded by brick...they surround my pool. Anyway, I planted some impatients around the edge in May and a few days later noticed that some of them "sunk" into the ground. I thought it was weird, but didn't think much more of it. Now, I have a few areas where there are holes (about four inches long and three inches wide). I have put a hose down them while watering and even after five minutes they don't seem to fill up. However, I have seen seeping coming from the other end of the brick wall. They don't seem to eat my plants, but I have lost more into the "black hole". What am I dealing with here and how do I get rid of it? I have not seen any wildlife (squirrels, but I am sure this isn't the work of a squirrel) and no feces. We do have a greenspace behind our house. Help! I want to do some extensive planting in the bed this fall, but won't do it until I know my plants are safe!

Comments (4)