Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Rats and Ex lax

Posted by meowmmy65 Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 12:32

Okay - I've been researching how to get rid of rats, and found several postings on various sites where people put out chocolate ex lax, and that got rid of them. Anyone have direct experience with this?

I've got dogs - they are going crazy trying to hunt them, but haven't caught anything. Poison is not an option as I can't risk my dogs eating a dead, poisoned rat.

I'm working on removing all food sources - but we have a compost bin that's going to take some effort to deal with. No more kitchen composting for me, until this is completely under control. It's like I put out a freaking smorgasbord and invited them in. I'm so upset about it. I do not compost dairy or meat (we are vegetarian). We put in our veggie and fruit leftovers and peelings, egg shells, coffee grounds, weeds and other yard waste. Trying to be green - and look what happens! Uggg. Again, I'm stopping all kitchen composting until it is under control. Thinking about ordering bokashi for the compost, to help it along.

Anyway, I can't get cats because my daughter is terribly allergic.

I ordered an ultra ratzapper, and am waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, I put out three boxes of generic chocolate ex lax last night, and every bit was gone this morning. I really hope it works.

I appreciate any comments - experience with this - suggestions.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

Hope your dogs don't get into the stuff.


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

I put it outside the fenced in yard, where they can't get it.

I'm still interested in knowing if others have any experience using this in the battle against rats.


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

It's an urban myth. Use some traps.


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

Have you tried it?


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

Most everything I find about Ex Lax controlling mice, rats, and squirrels is anecdotal, peoples experience. The only thing I found that indicates a problem has to do with ground hogs by someone that apparently thinks vegetarians do not eat chocolate, a vegetable.
I would not debunk this outright unless I ahd tried it and it failed. I have not so cannot state it won't work.


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

I've been doing more research. This guy, Steve Tvedten, seems to be an expert: http://www.mcs-international.org/about_us/meet_the_team/usa/steve_tvedten_professional_experience.html

He specifically states "Laxatives put in their favorite foods have killed many rodents and/or pest mammals without endangering raptors and/or the environment." Page 1211, http://www.stephentvedten.com/33_Vertebrates.pdf

I have ordered a trap - the ratmousezapper, which has good reviews. When it arrives, I will put it out and see what happens.

In the meantime, three boxes of exlax were consumed by something Sunday night. That evening, there was definite rat activity around my compost bin. The dogs were going nuts. Monday, I filled the rat holes with dirt. Tuesday - no new evidence of rat activity anywhere in my yard.

I'm not ready to say this is over, but I am optimistic that laxatives could be a part of the solution. I bought more today, and will put it out again. (Where my dogs can't get it, of course.)

For me, anecdotal stories are fine. And I guess that's what I'm looking for - someone else who has done this successfully.


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

Hi
I just put out a packet of exlax and rats did not eat any.I see rat poop inside my house and they are in the crawlspace


 o
RE: Rats and Ex lax

meowmmy65, I have not tried that particular product but you are on the threshold of a breakthrough in your particular circumstances.
The biggest hurdle in rodent control is to get the animal to feed. Trust me! In one way or another I had to deal with the problem for 20 years.
There is a good chance that if the rats continue to feed, they will die of dehydration as a result of the diarrhea that the product induces.
However, if you can lace the Ex-Lax with a poison without altering the smell or taste you will get rid of them. The poison has to be slow acting because if it is swift-acting, it will kill one or two rats; but the others will become 'bait shy'.
Now if you can induce your rodents to eat up some chocolate flavored warfarin...


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here