Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spotted yellow cucumber beetles?

Posted by shamrock_1956 5/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 04 at 15:18

I have blooming cucumber plants that are covered with what seem to be round yellow black-spotted beetles eating the leaves. What can I use that will kill them, but yet let the pollinating insects pollinate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spotted yellow cucumber beetles?

Excelent question, I was just thinking the same thing. I didn't know what they were at first. I've been hand picking them. Hope someone answers your question. Soap does not seem to affect them mixed 2oz to 1 gal. They tend to hide under leaves.

o
RE: spotted yellow cucumber beetles?

I think they are called cucumber beetles. The adults eat holes in the leafs and leave them skelatized(sp?). The larvae are in the soil and feed on the roots and spread cucumber bacterial wilt which will kill your cucumbers. I know that rotenone works and NEEM oil is supposed to work on them. The downside to rotenone is that it kills the beneficials and the bees which pollinate cukes. The NEEM oil is supposed to not have this downside. I haven't tried it yet but will be doing it soon becuase I have noticed some chewing on my cuke leaves. I know that there are various companion planting/alternative fixes out there, but I haven't had much luck with any of those. The last two years I have had a much reduced crop becuase of the wilt and so this year I am going to try the NEEM.
If you do a general search for cucumber beetle, there are lots of websites with pictures to make sure that is what you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here