Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cicada killer wasps....can they kill my plants?

Posted by Cook4 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 15:29

We have a horrible infestation of cicada killer wasps. (At least I think they are cicada killer wasps. I've researched online and they look like ckw.)

They are burrowing down in my flower beds all around our front yard, leaving their tailings and holes. Several of the bedding plants (petunias, cosmos, etc) near the burrows have died. Now, the wasps have started burrowing near my laurel bushes and one of those is looking bad.

Are the cicada killer wasps killing my plants? For the record, we just built our house and the sod and landscaping are all just 4 months old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cicada killer wasps....can they kill my plants?

On occassion, depending on how large that nest is, the tunnels might cause a, or some, plant roots to be exposed to too much air or be deprived of water which might cause the plant to die. As a rule the nests of Cicada Killers will not be harmful to plants.

o

Here's a good fact sheet that speaks a bit about the possibility of plant damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here for great information

o

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I might be able to"water" my way out the problem for this summer, maybe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here