Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
picture winged flies

Posted by webhead1968 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 15:51

Hi,
I have a problem with picture winged flies. I never noticed them until we took down a 100 foot tulip tree and put up a white PVC fence. I sprayed the yard with ortho max and they have increase in population since then. Any help with getting this problem under control will be apreciated. Oh yeah, keep in mind that I have a very curious 2 year old at home.

Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about.
picture winged flies

Thanks,
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: picture winged flies

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 0:05

What sort of problem are you having with them?

o

Hi,
They seem to be killing off the leaves on some sun flowers and the population is increasing in size daily. I would like to stop the population from growing because we do a lot of entertaining in the yard and they are starting to get annoying and ruin some of the live plants.

Thanks.

o

Spraying with any broad spectrum poison, such as you have, will kill of any beneficial insects that could aid in control of these that may not necessarily be the problem you think anyway. Nothing I can find tells me that this is an insect tht really needs to be controlled and they really do very little harm.

o

Its been awhile, but any luck in solving your problem with picture winged flies? I'm amazingly not coming up with any anwers on the web. They are a huge nuisance for us spending time outside. They seem to gravitate to plastics, like our child's play toys, the side of our above ground pool, etc. They are unsightly and everywhere you look, there they are!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here