Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Too many yellow jackets!

sue36
15 years ago

We have numerous jellow jacket nests hanging from the eaves of our house, at least one somewhere under our porch right near the primary entrance to the house, as well as inside the handrail on our balcony, etc. Today I had to use the garden house to defend myself. They are everywhere, I feel stalked by them. I leave them alone, but I need to go in my house and water plants outside.

Is there something I can do to get rid of them? A trap (like for Japanese Beatles) or anything? Last year they built a nest under our steps and after getting sick of me running up and down the steps too many times they decided to attack, I was stung several times. Now the steps have a concrete base under them, but they have all the new nest locations. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Yellow Jackets are predators of other insects so to have that many around you must have a very good habitat to support them. Look around (this will not solve the immediate problem) and find out why there are so many different nests, what is providing enough food to support that many of these wasps.
    Since the Yellow Jackets by the steps are a threat to you then the nests in the ground can be treated with some carbaryl dust sprinkled around the entrance hols so the workers much walk through it on the way in so they track that poison down where it will kill those in the nest.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

If you do a search on-line you'll find several environmentally friendly wasp sprays. I would certainly avail myself of something like that rather than be held hostage around my own house by wasps or yellow jackets. Good luck! I hope you can enjoy your home again.

• sue36
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Re: other insects. I don't know what Yellow Jackets prefer for their meal (other than my backside, which is where I was stung last year), but we have lots of dragonflies, spiders, other wasps and bees, horseflies (in the woods), etc. We are on a pond. it's bug central around here. These are the only ones I have issue with (well, I'm not crazy about the Japanese Beetles either, but what can you do).

I haven't found any nests in the ground this year. They all seem to be aerial. Either under the eaves, under the porch, tucked into the porch railing, etc.

• alpiner
    15 years ago

This has some added info on wasps:

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Buzz

• butterbloom
    15 years ago

I had a problem with Yellow Jackets, Hornets and Wasps due to having Hummingbird feeders out. I accidently found a way to kill them naturally. Put some sugar water in a bucket about 6" deep and sit it out. They will drown themselves! (The bugs not the hummingbirds) Works great!

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Most everyone suggests ways to kill off some of the workers but nothing to get rid of the problem, the nest where the workers come from that simply produces more workers to replace those lost. If the presence of a nest hinders your ability to enter or leave your house really drastic methods of control are necesasry. However it is not necessary to do anything about some Yellow Jackets flying around collecting food to take back to the nest, since they seldom will do any harm to you.

• waterfallx7
    13 years ago

The last 2 years I have had a problem with yellow jackets.
    One year they bore into the side of my garage and I had a huge nest. I had General Pest come out and spray inside the holes with Sevin and that killed them immediately.
    Last year, they were putting up paper nests in the eaves, and along my picket fence using the cross piece to attach their nest. I had to spray a lot. I kept killing them in their nest and then broke up the nest.
    You can buy wasp traps. They worked great. I bought one and it trapped about 2 dozen wasps. I had bought it in the fall. This year I am buying 4 traps and setting them up away from my house. And stocking up on spray. I will check every afternoon. They seem to be attracted to the south side of the house. The is the only way to stop them is to start in the spring and keep after them. Good luck!

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Carbaryl (one brand is Sevin) is a broad spectrum poison that will kill any insect that contacts it so its use mst be done very carefully. Also understand that there are indications that carbaryl is suspected of making changes in several of the human organs as well as causing adverse health in humans. Because of the time delay from exposure to these adverse affects it is not easy to make a real cause and affect link.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living