Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bushkid

Holes in garden: mole or chipmunk?

bushkid
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm having trouble with something creating tunnels in my garden. There is a 4 inch hole next to one of my azeleas, and a part of the bush is wilting while the rest of the bush is not. I think it's starting to damage the root system. It could be one of two things: a chipmunk or a mole.

A week ago a neighborhood cat killed a mole and let it at our door step, and about 2 weeks ago I saw it with a chipmunk in it's mouth. Yesterday I filled in the hole with some dirt, but it's been dug out again today. So clearly something is still actively using it.

I want to get rid of whatever is harming my garden, but this is where it gets complicated. I have a chipmunk that lives in my rock wall that my wife has grown quite found of. I dont' want to hurt the chipmunk because she's very attached to the chipmunk. In fact she feeds it sunflower seeds. The offending hole is about 30 feet away from the chipmunks rock wall home. How can identify which pest is causing the problem? Can I kill/replet the mole without killing/repelling the chipmunk?

Thanks

charlie

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert