Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Bugs? Bad Bugs?

Posted by Leasa 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 18:18

Here are a couple of bugs that I just noticed in my garden, please let me know if they are friends or foes?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Bug about half inch big on my potato bud:

It blends in good. Looks like it flys.

This one is on my Mallow the first one is a baby the next one is a bigger one, they have a web over them:

They are eating the leaves but hey, it it will be a pretty butterfly they can stay...

Green Flyish bug kinda pretty colors, but moves fast and hard to get a pix of:

Bigger one:

Any help on IDing these bugs will be most appreciated!

Leasa
Eastport, Maine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Bugs? Bad Bugs?

The first one looks like a type of leaf hopper. Harmless.

#2 & #3 are caterpillars. All caterpillars eat leaves, some have really big appetites. I don't know what kind this one is but if it starts eating lots and lots, it's time to apply sudden vertical compression (squish it).

The last one, a longish green fly is called a long legged fly. Harmless. Some are greenish, some are bluish, some even are yellow-orange.

o

First one doesn't look like a leafhopper to me, but I can't ID. If it is, it's not actually harmless. It sort of looks like a lygus bug to me. You've got a painted lady caterpillar underneath the silken web, and that pretty longlegged fly is BENEFICIAL, not merely harmless.

Painted lady caterpillars don't show up in huge hoards, like some others. The adults are among the prettiest jewels in the garden. If I had some of these on my plants, I would let them be.

I'll attach a link to a few leaf hopper images for you to decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leafhopper images

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 12:44

Well, shoot. (I had hoped to beat rhizo to the draw!) My reply to #1 is somewhere in the electronic fog.

#1 is a lygus bug. Seldom a problmm in home gardens but considered a pest for certain large-scale operations.

o

The ONLY way I can figure out that I even thought of lygus bug, Jean, is that I must have been reading your mind.

o

Thank you all for the info!

I was thrilled to hear about the Painted Lady they ALL can eat up the Mallow! There is plenty to go around.

I will go look the lygus bug, it is much bigger than any leaf hopper, but only one so far...

Shucks, no green flys today.....

Leasa

o

Does this still look like a painted lady baby?

The mallow is looking pretty ratty.

o

Do you folks still think this is a painted lady baby?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here