Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash bugs

Posted by highdesert z5NV (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 18:51

This year my seed started squash plants were put out into the yard in different places. I carefully watched for squash bugs and when I saw the first one, I covered each individual plant with Remy cloth. That got to be tiresome in keeping them sealed and with watering, so after about a week I removed the cloth and awaited my annual gross invasion of squash bugs. Surprise! My plants are growing beautifully and I haven't found a bug yet!!!

I found the idea of covering the plants with cloth until blossom time from the 'The New Seed-Starters Handbook' by Nancy Bubel. I didn't wait until blossom time and it still seemed to work!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash bugs

Covering new plants with floating row covers has been something that has been discussed since the 1980's at least, nothing new, but something that is very slow to gain acceptance, even among organic gardeners/farmers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here