Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bag Worms/ White Pines

Posted by Yellow22 7PA/NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 04 at 18:53

They are on a main highway, an entrance to an arboretum, hugh pines where a garden of all kinds of flowers grow underneath. I feel like this IPM has failed. I thought a balance would be better where on the inside of the facility there is less flowers but loads of trees and non blooming shrubs this time of year and very few bag worms. Please tell me it's enviromental stress from cars going by because the whole area will have to be sprayed. I tried to pull off what I could in late winter, didn't seem to matter much, now the tress are covered. It such a shame, I feel so defeated. What will attack bag worms naturally for next time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bag Worms/ White Pines

While, to our eyes, bagworms are ugly they really do little damage to the trees and the opnly real reason to spray is aesthetic. Next year start of by wrapping the tree trunks with a sticky tape to keep Ma Bagworm Moth from climbing up the tree to meet with Pa (Ma doesn't fly while Pa does) and maybe plan on spraying BTK as soon as the first bag is noticed since that only is effective early in the life of the buggers.
Before anyone suggests burning the nests out of the trees DO NOT. The heat from that burning will do more, permanent damage to the tree than the bagworms ever will.

o
RE: Bag Worms/ White Pines

I've seen Srpuces that were dead dead dead and even the bag worms moved along. I did notice that one of them a day later had attached itself underneath my cushman gas garden cart. They move around on autos. So I know it wasn't because of the flowers. Breathing I think they know when to fall off. Stop at the light, drop, and roll, blow crawl...they made it. I don't feel so bad to use chemicals because to take those trees down would ruin a garden that I've work on so I don't have to spay a ton of roundup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here