Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitova

ANY groundhog spray that works??

kitova
16 years ago

hi everyone,

now that a greedy little whistle pig has moved into my neighborhood and practically rolled in my marigolds like it was chucknip, it seems like it was so much easier with the deer.. at least there was a deer spray i could effectively use.

can anybody tell me anything that might work with a groundhog? he's destroyed quite a few plants, and everything i've read about him only points to a worse future. i don't want to kill him - he is just being a groundhog and i personally feel it would be hypocritical of me to kill an animal just because he eats something i like to look at - i don't have vegetables, i just garden for flowers. i just want to either convince him to stick to a diet of clover and broadleafs -- or it's relo package for him.

i cannot fence my yard. i've tried sprays containing cinnamon oil, clover oil, eggs, pepper. tried urine (kindly donated by DH) to no avail. tried gum - oh he eats the gum, and just so you know, he prefers the fruity flavors and turns up his nose to the mint flavors.. but honestly i am afraid to use too much (imho gum can "gum" up a human system as much as a rodent's -- i should know, i had my stomach pumped as a kid -- and i'm not into inhumane methods). so here i am at a loss..

i've read about sprays with castor bean oil but never tried it, haven't read anywhere that it works.. anybody tried it?

so while i wait for your response, i have a little respite. dopey little thing walked right into my garage the other day and we had a good 1/2 workout in there before he found his way out. haven't seen him in days..

so please, help me help him! (i'm thinking if i ever do have to trap and release him, i will feel so bad, i will probably go back and leave him an apple every week as compensation)

p.s., i've posted this in the NJ forum as well..

Comments (2)