Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normlisa

Straw itch mites

normlisa
15 years ago

We live in the Shuswap area in BC. For the last month both my wife and I have been geting red welts with a whiteheads in the middle, appearing on our upper bodies. Weve had pest control professionals come to our house. First they thought it was allergies to soap, we tried different laundry detergent and washed everything daily, this did nothing. Then of course the usual bed bug search, our house is clean and we both were not getting bit below our waist? Then another pest control guy calls me three days later and tells me I have been bit by duck mites, swimmers itch, (HUH!) Neither of us have been near the lake and I dont swim, real expert this guy was!

Anyway after my last episode of waking up to 30+ bites in the morning I decided to do my own homework (till 3:00am) and learned about straw itch mites and outbreaks that have occured in the US in the past. I believe finally I know what these bites are.

Everytime the bites appeared we were in the vegetable garden the night before.

Now we are both paranoid to go in the back yard even to cut the lawn. Our vegetables are getting ready to pick and we cant get them.

Is there anything we can do to kill these mites.

Two of the crack pest control professionals have never heard of mites in this area (go figure).

Thanks,

N&L

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Are you certain of the mites.....have you located the infestation? The first thing I thought of was thrips, which will bite humans. Symptoms can vary from person to person. On me, the bites burn and sting immediately, then continue to itch for quite a while. I will often develop a bumpy rash if they've really swarmed me. They seem to go for my arms and neck, mostly.

Just something for you to consider, anyway. You might want to do some research using 'biting thrips' as your search words. Let us know what you think.

• normlisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought about Thrips but these bites don't appear until 10 to 16 hours after I'm in the garden. Also I did' nt mention the garden is bordering on two sides of what appears to be a jungle 4 to 5 feet tall grass weeds, etc. The garden was allready there when we moved here in the spring.

Thanks

• stompede
    15 years ago

I wouldn't rule out thrips, but based on my experiences at work this spring I think it might be some sort of mites. Our county Extension agent ruled out thrips (we couldn't even find a single thrip on yellow sticky flags). We narrowed it down to straw mites or, since birds frequented the straw often, mites from them. The outbreak fizzled out before we had a chance to treat. It was recommended that we use any of the synthetic pyrethroids such as permethrin, cyfluthrin, or bifenthrin.

My reccomendation is to go see a dermatologist and contact any local Extension-equivalent service for proper identification. Proper ID allows you to treat more effectively.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA