Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elin1_gw

Found about 2 dozen DEAD Flies in house

elin1
17 years ago

I hope someone can come up with a possible answer as to why I found about 2 dozen dead flies in my livingroom today. i found about 8 or 10 on the floor, 1 on the coach, & the remainder on my window sill. I have not sprayed any kind of pesticides or anything inside or out of the house. I can't imagine how they got in. I have seen in the last few days 1 or 2 flying around but the fact that i found so many dead concerns me. I also found a dead bird outside today as well & a few months ago a homing pidgeon died outside my house close to where the bird died. If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. I am overly concerned as I do have 3 dogs.

Comments (22)

• jean001
    17 years ago

Just a wild guess because you didn't give any description of the flies -- most likely from the corpses of the dead animals you've found. The flies arrive after the animal dies and are part of the clean-up crew.

When the maggots have done their part, they leave the body and migrate to a drier place. Since the dead animals were close to your house, they may have ended up in the crawl space or indoors. The next stage is the pupa, then the adult fly.

If the bodies are the origin of the flies, the flies won't be interested in your dogs.

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

I see you are on LI--not Amityville by any chance? lol
    Dead flies are better than live ones!

• angelawilliamson
    14 years ago

Well do I have one for you. About every 4 months I find about 60 dead flies or soon to be dead flies in my kitchen on the window sill or floor beneath the window. We have looked for something dead under/near the house and can't find anything. This happens for about a week. When I get up in the morning I sweep up about 60 flies. Before I go to bed I sweep up about 60 more. Like I said this goes on for about a week every 4 months. I have been told that this house is haunted. Other than the flies, the TV in my room between the hours 9:30pm-11:30 pm the tv will turn channels by it's self. Other than that nothing else has happened here. We are moving out of this house in 2 weeks. We have not started packing yet. I keep sweeping up dead flies just to sweep up a lot more hours later. This even happens in the fall when it is getting cold out. It is just crazy!!!

• hfndt_stu_ca
    12 years ago

the same thing that is happening to you angela, is happening to me. we even had our tv screen go black, and random words show up on it.this is a very strange phenomenon.

• janellecdes_gmail_com
    12 years ago

silly, silly people. The dead flies have nothing to do with your house being haunted. Active and dead flies found in your house is most likely from dead animals in your walls. Mice and rodents can easily get into the walls of your home and die and the flies feed off of them. And as for t.vs turning off and on... maybe check your menu and see if you have a timer set.

• sdud63
    8 years ago

My wife left for a week and my bed room filled up with flies, next day they all died, this was very weird. Seven years ago I made my whole house go to church, and when we got back home the house was full of flies...

• kimmq
    8 years ago

The life span of flies is usually in the 15 to 30 day time frame, and it has little to nothing to do with available food. Some adult flies eat nothing, others may sip nectars from flowers or sip water from puddles.

While it is kind of unusual to have that many die that quickly it is not unheard of.

kimmq id kimmsr

• George Plim
    8 years ago

Upon 3 days of living in my new house, (things where still being unpacked, and fridge had not arrived) I woke up with a strange buzzing looked at the skylight window to find about 50 flies flying around on the window (this was in September) I opened the window and let them out then on the bathroom window there where another cluster I executed the same procedure. In my front room there where a few flies flying around by the windows with them all open now eventual they all left. since then I have always found a few flies a week almost dead but still walking around. They are fully grown flies the normal kind all of them and I have not had any dead animals around here but they contently turn up like this even in the winder. What Is it and how can i stop it. The landlord blames me!

• zzackey
    8 years ago

They might have laid eggs the previous year. When I lived in northern Pa as a child we had flies hatch every year inside of the house.

• User
    7 years ago

These are cluster flies. They're looking for someplace warm, which is why they show up in the fall near sunny windows. They typically get in through attic vent and then into your living space from cracks around where the attic door is. The best prevention is to try to seal up tightly around your attic door. Best way to get ride of them is a vacuum cleaner.

• adeletucker
    7 years ago

Why would I find dead flies in the same area on the floor every few days? The very same place about 3 flies every few days

• Valerie Folkes
    6 years ago

Because there is something on the floor that is attracting them. Maybe an old spilt drink, any substance that they might flock to will attract them.

• PRO
    Envirosafe Pest Control Orlando
    6 years ago

It's often a dead animal carcus in the attic or crawl space. This might be a situation when you need a professional to rid ensure you don't get secondary infestations from the dead animal. Often saturation is recommended after removal.

Envirosafe Pest control of Orlando 9064 Dowden Rd #310 Orlando Fl 32827 704-580-7124 www.orlandopestcontrol.com

• ndwriter
    6 years ago

I found two piles of flies in my apt. It was built two years ago and there are no animals around. I found them only in a hall and on a kitchen counter - all dead in the middle of January. No vents or windows near them. No pets in the house. No food on floor or counter. None of the answers tell me what could have happened. No more flies. None on the windows. Just one day, there they were.

• Norma Norland
    6 years ago
    Doesn’t anyone read the comments that come before? They have already been identified as cluster flies. Cluster flies, unlike blow flies or other types of flies that are attracted to spilled food or the like, these flies are seeking warmth, find their way inside to winter over. They lay their eggs outdoors in summer. Indoors they are sluggish and easy to swat, and many don’t make it thru the winter at all. They appear thru tiny openings you didn’t think existed.
  • Fori
    6 years ago

There are many (many!) different species of flies and each species has their own particular lifestyles. If any of these folks actually posted GOOD photos of the flies along with information like where and when the dead critters were found, the species might be identified and then the question of what they were doing in the house might be easier to guess...

• Norma Norland
    6 years ago

Answers re flies can easily be found on-line, with photos

• HU-275760839735947
    5 years ago

Ok you said that it's not a ghost then explain this to me when me and my fiance first moved into this house we spent the first night in the living room we have a sliding glass door with vinyl blinds I woke up at 300 an to them moving there was no wind out side they were being open and shut we was the only two in the house he was sound asleep now almost 4 months later I wake up every morning to dead bugs and now this morning over a dozen dead flies and one bug dying in that area where that was happening

• Yulissa Puente
    5 years ago

You have a certain air contamination in your home it can varie from ciggarete smoke to some type of drug smoke or even mabey you have a ac you always use that causd flies to want to leave the room and cant find a way out so they die by your window or door .

• Tracie G
    5 years ago

Yesterday was Boxing Day here in Auckland, New Zealand. At 11:30 am my son and I had a glass of water in my clean kitchen and left the house. There were no flies to be seen. In fact, we use a gentle plant scent that bugs dislike to keep them out and it works. There are no chemicals in the scent. 3 hours later we returned to a kitchen floor just full of dead flies. They were everywher. At least 45 of them. Today, it happened within a half hour from when I had a breakfast bagel, to when I got up for water. We do not have a heat source, or gas source anywhere in the house. It’s warm here (summer time). Any ideas??

• HU-902891903
    last year

Theyre called ”cluster flys” they sneak in your home and hybernate during the cold months then on warmer days or spring they wake up and try to get outside when they dont they die soon after

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting