Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found about 2 dozen DEAD Flies in house

Posted by elin1 long island NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 21:56

I hope someone can come up with a possible answer as to why I found about 2 dozen dead flies in my livingroom today. i found about 8 or 10 on the floor, 1 on the coach, & the remainder on my window sill. I have not sprayed any kind of pesticides or anything inside or out of the house. I can't imagine how they got in. I have seen in the last few days 1 or 2 flying around but the fact that i found so many dead concerns me. I also found a dead bird outside today as well & a few months ago a homing pidgeon died outside my house close to where the bird died. If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. I am overly concerned as I do have 3 dogs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found about 2 dozen DEAD Flies in house

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 23:32

Just a wild guess because you didn't give any description of the flies -- most likely from the corpses of the dead animals you've found. The flies arrive after the animal dies and are part of the clean-up crew.

When the maggots have done their part, they leave the body and migrate to a drier place. Since the dead animals were close to your house, they may have ended up in the crawl space or indoors. The next stage is the pupa, then the adult fly.

If the bodies are the origin of the flies, the flies won't be interested in your dogs.

o

I see you are on LI--not Amityville by any chance? lol
Dead flies are better than live ones!

o

Well do I have one for you. About every 4 months I find about 60 dead flies or soon to be dead flies in my kitchen on the window sill or floor beneath the window. We have looked for something dead under/near the house and can't find anything. This happens for about a week. When I get up in the morning I sweep up about 60 flies. Before I go to bed I sweep up about 60 more. Like I said this goes on for about a week every 4 months. I have been told that this house is haunted. Other than the flies, the TV in my room between the hours 9:30pm-11:30 pm the tv will turn channels by it's self. Other than that nothing else has happened here. We are moving out of this house in 2 weeks. We have not started packing yet. I keep sweeping up dead flies just to sweep up a lot more hours later. This even happens in the fall when it is getting cold out. It is just crazy!!!

o
RE: angelawilliamson

• Posted by
    brandon daniels
    (hfndt@stu.ca) on
    Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 12:28

the same thing that is happening to you angela, is happening to me. we even had our tv screen go black, and random words show up on it.this is a very strange phenomenon.

o

silly, silly people. The dead flies have nothing to do with your house being haunted. Active and dead flies found in your house is most likely from dead animals in your walls. Mice and rodents can easily get into the walls of your home and die and the flies feed off of them. And as for t.vs turning off and on... maybe check your menu and see if you have a timer set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here