Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cargobean

Worm's Eating My Roots, Help!!

cargobean
16 years ago

Hi: I am having a problem with about 7 of my plants. What happens is one stem will wilt and die and I'll pull it out and there will be worms in it on the bottom by and in the roots, but some there were no worms, just black rot. So for all of them, I sprayed some insecticide on them, and watched them. Most are doing fine, still blooming, while having holes in their stems on the bottom and roots. My question is I heard you are surpose to dig up the plant and dirt surrounding it and throw it away, then spray and replant with a new plant. Is that true? And I can't do that right now, so could I just chuck them in the fall and replant in the spring? Will I have this problem in the spring again? It's terrible!! And I have noticed even the weeds have the same thing happening to them! So am I doomed? I have never had this kind of problem before. Any suggestion's you could give me would be so appreciated. What are these worms? Thanks!!

Comment (1)

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

That you have some kind of insect larva in your soil indicates you have a soil problem. What is the level of organic matter in your soil? What is the nutrient balance of your soil? A good, healthy soil will have a balanced Soil Food Web that would aid in controlling the pest larva.