Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lipwak

ants in the mailbox

lipwak
16 years ago

Hi,

I am getting ants in my mailbox. I've shooed them and their eggs out several times but they keep coming back.

What do you recommend? The mailbox is on a wooden post out by the street, not near the house. The mailbox is a black hard plastic.

Thanks.

John L

Rockland County, NY, approx 30 miles north of NYC

Comments (10)

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

The only reason ants would be there, especially with larva, is because conditions are good for a nursery, cool and moist. What conditions exist in that mailbox that would make a good ant nursery?

• lipwak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know. I guess I could poke holes in it to make it sunnier and drier but then I'd have wet mail. I could leave the front flap down but I kinda like having my mail in a semi-secure box.

I agree the conditions must be appealing for them to make it a nest but really don't know how I can make it less appealing. I suppose a spray with something toxic to them every once in awhile might help/discourage them,

I am still open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

John L

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

I would first was that mailbox with a good soap and water solution to see if that did not move them around. Unless ants are in your house there really is no good reason too poison them.

• lipwak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I flushed them out with some water a few days ago and they haven't returned. I'll keep an eye out though.

Cheers,

John

• Lacey Montgomery
    6 years ago

Thank you so much!!!!!

• Kristina Mirell
    6 years ago

I have ants in my mailbox. (I know,,,,, it sounds like a personal problem. lol lol).
    except I have a metal post!. so I assume they're coming from the ground. There's three piles of eggs too.
    I SWEAR BY Terro Ant Baits, been using them for years and ants have been gone in less than 24 hours. I put a trap in the mailbox last night at 9 pm and 12 hours later they're still going but many ate it because their belly's are nice and full (they all got big butts lol) I'm hoping they take the bait and die off before the mail lady comes. I think she didn't leave me mail yesterday because of them.
    Funny I don't like killing them, but am poisoning them w/ Terro. Is that sadistic or what?> lMAO.
    I'll keep this updated.

• Kristina Mirell
    6 years ago

so I just read a post above that said to simply open the mailbox. I have done that and I will post later w/ any updates.

• Mel Thoeny
    2 years ago

Gone in 15 minutes, eggs and all! As the mailman said, open the door and they will leave. Works like a charm.

• Audra Vanzant
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

To keep ants out of MAILBOX Just use open small box of good dry sheets

And push towards the back ....they ( ants )will never came back