Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Want Crickets

Posted by snow.moon New York (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 23:36

I live in a dense area of Brooklyn. For years I have missed the seductive hum of crickets, as lulled me to sleep in the countryside of my childhood.

Tonight during a long walk I heard a surprising hum emanating from a lawn: Yes, the joyful cry of a cricket. I really had not considered they could live in these environs. But as I now know all things are possible, I would like to introduce them to my garden.

The internet, for once, has not proved helpful. While many people are putting a death wish on crickets, I cannot find information on fostering them. This has also led me to wonder if there is any risk in trying to bring them to my block?

If not, the only place that provides this insect seems to be a pet supply store. Does anyone know if this would be the desired breed? Thank you in advance--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Want Crickets

The crickets sold in pet stores are meant to be a food source for some ones "pet", but bait shops around here also sell them. To have them around you need to create a habitat that will provide them with the shelter and food they need to exist.
Your post reminded me that I have not heard any this year either. That may be a bad thing for our environment.

Here is a link that might be useful: About crickets

o
RE: I Want Crickets

We have tons of them in our yard. I love to hear them sing at night. I call it my cricket lullaby. I find them under boards, pots and anything laying on the ground that is undisturbed. I hope you can find a way to get them to stay at your house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here