Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual beetle(?) with brilliant orange, yellow, black markings?

Posted by lrobins z6b MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 04 at 3:17

Hi,

I would like help identifying an unusual insect (just curiosity). I spotted the insect on a Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed) flower, so it is likely attracted to nectar. I trapped and released the insect just for a closer look. I would say the length was 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and the body was very thin, not much wider than a toothpick. The insect had two wings and looked beetle-like to me, that is the wings folded neatly over the body when not in flight, although I am not an expert in insect classification. The markings were brilliant, alternating orange and black/yellow stripes going around the body (like a zebra) rather than parallel to the length. By "black/yellow", I mean that these stripes were subdivided into black and yellow regions in an intricate pattern. I did a web search for common beetles with these markings, but didn't turn up anything quickly. I'm pretty sure that my insect is not a cucumber or potato beetle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual beetle(?) with brilliant orange, yellow, black markin

Actually, believe it or not, this brilliantly colored, daytime active, thin bodied insect is a MOTH, the adult of the Ailanthus webworm, Atteva punctilla. The Ailanthus webworm is a sub-tropical insect that has spread north following the introduction of an "alternate" host plant, the introduced invasive species Ailanthus altissima, that has spread throughout North America. (Since the Ailanthus tree is not native to the Americas, while Atteva punctilla is, we can say that the moth has "adapted" a new host.) Further, Atteva punctilla is not adapted to survive cold winters, so apparently a population flies north each year to seek the abundant leaves of the Ailanthus trees.

Since Ailanthus is generally considered undesirable (it has bad habits, like spreading into a huge thicket by runner roots, and producing a toxin that interferes with growth of other plants in its vicinity), the Atteva punctilla might be classified as a beneficial insect, although it doesn't do enough damage to seriously impact the Ailanthus.

There are hundreds of images of this tiny but photogenic insect on the web. Here are a few:

http://www.bugguide.net/node/view/1762

http://entweb.clemson.edu/museum/moths/local/moth16.htm

o

Well, we sure wre thrown off by the suggestion that it was a beetle!!! ;-) Next time, maybe post an image.

I totally agree that this is a wonderful little insect! I see them only rarely, and it's always a great surprise!

o

Aren't they gorgeous! I found one only by chance; I was photographing a butterfly, and only noticed it AFTER I downloaded the photo. I posted it in one of these forums and Lynn identified it for me.

o

I just left my Joe Pye weed to come and find out what bugs are all over it, and I saw this question. Funny, the description fits until lrobins describes the decorative patterns. My bug isn't atteva punctilla. The body stripes are narrow and bee-like. Any other ideas? I'd take a picture if I knew how to....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here