Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Injured Rat in my Pond.

Posted by CaliforniaGardening California (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 04 at 8:32

I had a rat that found my mouse trap fall into my pond injured. The rat almost got away but I went out and trapped him with a bucket a put a brick on top. Can someone please advise me on what to do next? How do I kill and dispose of the rat now? Could the pond be infected with something dangerous now? I have a turtle that visits the pond, is he in danger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Injured Rat in my Pond.

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 04 at 14:29

You might check with your county's Vector Control District (if such exits) and/or the local Animal Shelter/ Humane Society.

For future refernce: Next time you set out rat/mouse traps, wire it/them to something solid/heavy, such as a sturdy stake or a concrete block.

Oh yes. The pond is ok and the turtle will be fine.

o

Thanks for the quick reply. I did secure the trap to the fence with a screw. But I should not have placed it directly over the pond, that was not smart. Also, I should have used larger traps instead of a mouse trap. :(
I called the folks here:
theanimalshelter.org and they said they don't come out for rats. :(

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 04 at 18:58

Ypou wrote:
"I called the folks here:
theanimalshelter.org and they said they don't come out for rats."

You need to ask "what do I do next?"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here