Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids on milkweed

Posted by julieann_grow 9-LA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 9:08

I have two large milkweed plants in containers next to my veggie garden. I put them there to attract butterflies and it works.

Now, they are covered with aphids (the small yellow ones that look like clusters of eggs). Right now, there is no damage being done and I don't really care too much about the milkweed. I thought I would leave them there as food for any beneficials, but so far none have shown up to feast on them. I am concerned that they may spread to my vegetables, especially as I add more and more as we head into the Fall.

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids on milkweed

I would absolutely begin to decrease the population by hand removal or hard water sprays. When aphid populations explode, generations will be born with wings to allow them to move to less crowded locations. You need to work in conjunction with your beneficials to keep aphids under control.

o

I released some ladybugs today. We'll see how much they get under control. I hope the ladybugs stay around for awhile.

o

I had terrible aphids on my milkweed patch this year (second year). I hosed and squished and hosed some more, and they were still terrible. The honeydew was attracting flies. It took forever for the ladybugs to show up! Once they did, the problem resolved in a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here