Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtomeo

Field Mouse Nest

mtomeo
16 years ago

There is a mouse (maybe two) that keeps taking up shelter in my Grill (3rd time now). Anytime we leave it for more that 3 or 4 days, the mouse is back, nest and all. For starters, we've decided to move it to a different part of our deck where we haven't had this problem in the past.

The problem: This mouse is a Mom. The current nest is full of 6-7 babies. And I mean babies. They probably were born 15 minuutes before I found them. Some of you are thinking, "perfect time to kill them", and I understand this...but alas, can't bring myself to do it. Sure, I'll regret this later, but it's not my nature to kill them (adult or baby). We live in the woods and have lived comfortabley together for years. This is the first time they have invaded "my space."

I mentioned this is the third time this/a mouse has set up shelter in my grill. The first time there were babies as well, but slightly older as they could move. I tried to scare the Mom out, but two babies fell off of her as she scurried away. I tried to relocate the nest, but Mom never came back (pretty sure the lil babies are dead...I haven't checked, but the whole area is completely undisturbed).

My question: Is it possible to relocate the nest, and have the Mom actually come back to her babies? She seems like a bird where once a human desturbs the nest, Mom abandons it. Is there any chance I can save these lil guys?

OK, call me a pansy or a pacifist. I can take it. Maybe someone needs to tell me to "suck it up" and just toss them out with the trash. I'll accept any advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry