Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic spray for tick and mosquito control

Posted by lisaloo MA z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 03 at 10:34

Has anyone tried any of the garlic based sprays for tick and mosquito control? Do they work?

My inlaws have a large 'farm' in NH that includes woods and an unmown field, that is basically crawling with ticks all summer, and unless there's a good breeze (ok, more than a breeze...hurricane maybe?) the air is thick with mosquitos. No one lives there full time, so unfortunately I don't think guinea hens are an option (anyone know if presence of guinea fowl attracts predatory wildlife?).

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic spray for tick and mosquito control

Not in my experience. Nothing is more effective (other than long pants!) for mosquitoes than DEET. Here's a link for the Centers for Disease Control's Fact Sheet on mosquito control and avoidance. I suspect that they have something similar for ticks (Lyme disease, etc.).

Regards,
Colin

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC Fact Sheet

o

I'd like to know if anyone has had success with the garlic spray also. I believe one name brand is Mosquito Barrier and also Mosquito czar.

o

I will use garlic spray tomorrow, i just did for the first time. Tomorrow i will use it, and then i report here, if i had success!

Keep it green!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Spray

o

It doesn't repel tick, (or any other insects) because they don't have an olfactory sense like ours, but it sure does repel any humans!

o

I'm wondering if there is an update? Did it work?

o

A friend of mine is a dog breeder in Puerto Rico and lives right next to the jungle. For years she had serious tick infestations and had to use Frontline for her dogs constantly. This past year she started spraying a garlic spray called Mosquito Barrier in her yard once a month and the problem ended immediately. She has not even had to put a single dose of frontline on her dogs since she started. She didn't mention mosquitos, but garlic spray certainly worked for her when it came to fleas and ticks. With summer right around the corner, I am planning on buying some for my land today. Also, about guineas, before we moved onto our land we put some adolescent guineas on it in a strong dog kennel, planning to release them when we were living on the land 24/7. Within a week the coyotes had eaten all 25 of them, they had pried through the chain link. Of course, our land already had coyotes so I can't say they attracted prey animals but the guineas were certainly defenseless from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Spray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here