Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
termites in friggin redwood, too?

Posted by pfinger1 SOCAL (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 11:11

I have some redwood which has been in the back yard resting on plastic buckets for about 6 weeks...some of the wood is fencing boards. I went to use some yesterday and found 5-6 drywood termites on one side, 3-4 drywoods on another.
It looked like they'd been doing some eating and there were a few holes they'd made in the wood as well. Of course I sprayed those @#$@!$ with arsenic and killed em good but why were there sooo many termites on redwood? I thought
it was safe from termites? I just finished a deck made of mostly redwood and treated wood.

Am I @!#$#@#ED?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: termites in friggin redwood, too?

Could be. Are the boards for your fence stained or weather treated?

o

I never got to do either...was gonna just stain the boards with some pretty stuff....the wood was on the back porch waiting for installation....will stain help?

o

I don't know, but I was thinking it might make the wood taste bad to the bugs. Couldn't hurt if you were going to do it anyway. Best of luck!

o

If these guys were on the outside of the wood they were not termites. Termites would not be able to exist in the environment outside of the wood. You would also find mud tummels very close by as their means of getting to the wood.

o

That's not true at all....you're speaking of subterranean termites. They need a moisture source and Drywoods fly to a (potential) source, shed their wings, and crawl around looking for a place to start a colony. I did find out they CAN chew up in redwood just as easily. Although, they're not very good at flying and they don't always succeed at entering the wood. Check this site out, it'll teach you tons:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7440.html

o

Another good reason to live in Michigan.

o

Michigan? Does the sun ever shine there?

o

Sun. Is that that orange disk in the sky on some days?

o

Drywoods were probably just setting up shop and you got them before they got to far. Don't worry bout it to much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest cemetery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here