Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bag worms

Posted by bigdope (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 11:27

Getting this posted is getting to be exasperating. I think I could get into the Pentagon with less trouble

We've had a good sized dose of bag worms. My question is, we have sprayed (successfully it seems) will my plants come back next year or are we doomed? They are not completely defoliated, but close.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bag worms

Bag worms or tent caterpillars? Just wondering.

As long as your plants are generally healthy, they can usually tolerate a defoliation. Repeated events are what cause a problem, or a defoliation on top of drought conditions, etc.

o

At this time of year trees will be munched on by "Bag Worms" and "Fall Webworms". Both, early in their life cycle are very susceptible to Bacillus thuringiensis - Kurstaki, but it is not effective after they reach about 3 weeks of age.
Whether your tree(s) will be adversly affected depends on how stressed they are by other environmental factors, ie. drought. Defoliation of deciduous trees at this time of year is not as harmful as some think since the trees have stored the energy necessary for future growth and the trees leaves are getting ready to drop anyway.
Those trees will grow leaves again next year, and to help control these wee buggers in early July you can apply a band of a sticky substance around the tree trunk to capture the female moth that will lay the eggs that cecome the Fall Webworms.

o

bigdope, have you decided if you have bag worms OR tent caterpillars? It makes a big difference for your control strategies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here