Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumber beetles in great numbers

Posted by Oak_St 5 Chicag suburb (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 11:29

Don't they have any natural predators?

Also, I'm wondering if planting onion family plants near the target plants will help. onion works against Aphids. I had terrible Aphids every year until I did that and now the gourd that is also growing with the onions isn't effected by the CBs either, anybody know?
TsomuchIA
Marianne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumber beetles in great numbers

I was working for the chicago park district this summer and I saw the cucumber beatles everywhere. I did notice a few things though. They seemed to only be active on hot dry days. I never really saw them on cold or rainy days. I also saw birds that were eating them off of some of the plants in the parks we took care of. The bugs only seem to be really attracted to yellow colored flowers or foliage. One of my managers said that using neem or a good insecticidal soap should take care of them.

o
RE: cucumber beetles in great numbers

I've had some success using Fermented Salmon Spray, probably regular fish emulsion would work as well. While the beetles weren't totally eliminated, their numbers have been significantly reduced to where I can handpick them in the mornings.

Pony!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here