Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Jackets

Posted by schzmo z6a MA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 12:20

I suddenly have many yellow jacket wasps appearing inside my house. This was not a problem last week, when I only found a few wasps which is normal, but since yesterday morning I have probably swatted more than 20 wasps! I have no idea where they are coming from, though they seem to be confined to the lower level and are especially fond of one of the large windows there. The wasps are rather sluggish and are easily caught, but I'm afraid I will get stung one of these days, and as I'll soon be leaving town for a week, I also fear that there may be hundreds of wasps by the time I get back! I'd appreciate any advice on this problem. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Jackets

Are you sure that they are yellow jackets? Just asking.

I'm sure that you are prepared to hear us all remind you that you must find out WHERE they are getting in and fix it. Having any wasps (of any kind) roaming around the house is not 'normal'.

I'll be curious as to what others say about this, as I really don't have anything helpful. I'll stew on it, though. Hmmmm....what would I do?

o
RE: Yellow Jackets

I managed to pinpoint the source this morning. Found an area on the exterior wall where the wasps are coming in and out through a small gap between an electrical box and the siding, and doused it with Raid. Later I heard buzzing noises from a nearby heat/AC vent in the interior of the house. Assuming that was how the bugs were getting in, I closed off the flaps. This seems to have alleviated the situation but, I can't tell whether the nest is on the exterior wall or inside the HVAC system, in which case it's going to be much harder to kill!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here