Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cargobean

Has anyone had Fungal Wilt, what now?

cargobean
16 years ago

Hi: I have just found out I have fungal wilt on some of my plants. I found out by reading it in my perennial book. They say to throw away the plants and the dirt surrounding the area. My that's drastic. But I will do it in the fall. It's such a strange disease, and was wondering if anyone else has had it and what their strategies were for controlling or eliminating it? I have heard that the fungal wilt comes from using pesticides and fungicides on the roses, and this messes up the other dirt in the garden. So any help would be appreciated, or suggestion's on what to do now? i have heard that putting a lot of compost and manure in the dirt helps, and also putting corn meal down too, helps, because it adds back to the soil.

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

What kind of fungal wilt? There are many different such diseases. What kind of plants are you talking about?

• cargobean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe it's called Sclerotium rolfsii fungus. The description matched exactly to what is happening to my plants. Which is; the lower leaves turn yellow, eventually brown, as the disease progresses and the roots fail; then the plant wilts and eventually collapses. I have had it on my liatris, dianthis and coriopsis. One coriopsis is allmost dead now. I am going to remove it and the dirt and sprinkle the cornmeal there. The dianthis I removed the dead portion and the rest of the plant is doing fine, but the liatris is dying also. Any suggestion's?

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

I would first put samples of the affected plants in a sealable plastic bag and take that to my local office of my state universities USDA Cooperative Extension Service for an accurate diagnoses.
    Lots of compost may help the soil bacteria eventually control whatever disease you have in the soil, if any.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

It's commonly called Southern Blight and is frequently seen in gardens in the heat of the summer. Though those symptoms you describe can be attributed to Southern Blight, they also match up with other fungal diseases, too. But look for the tell-tale white fuzzy stuff on the soil and stems (that's the sclerotia). That's something you can readily see with your own eyes. However, a laboratory test might be a good idea, if you are not certain.

A well-balanced soil containing plenty of organic compounds is very helpful in helping your plants fight off these ubiquitous diseases naturally. So, too, is providing good growing conditions for your plants, according to specific requirements. Air circulation is essential, careful monitoring of watering practices, good drainage, conservative fertilization practices, and tending to garden housekeeping tasks.

Corn meal has long been identified as helpful in preventing several fungal diseases, and yours is one of them. It doesn't work, however, by 'building up the soil' as you say, but by direct fungus against fungus action. Corn meal triggers a rapid growth of a Trichoderma fungus which devours some of the plant pathogens.

• cargobean
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, it's all very scientific and aggrivating!! I am an emaculate gardener, and was horrified to find this in my garden. I water only at the plants bases, never, ever on the foliage, but of course who can stop rain. I deadhead constantly, and I give my plants plenty of elbow room. And I use manure and nothing like pesticides, or chemicals. However I do use some on my roses, and do feel that may be the problem. This problem started in the spring with one plant, and then another one got it a little later on, and another, till now I have had it on around 6 plants. I threw away 3 plants now. They all had the same symptems, but only one had white worms in their roots. So I will make sure to throw away the plants in the fall and see how I make out next year. So thanks guys for all the advice.

• jean001
    16 years ago

What you see in your plants -- "the lower leaves turn yellow, eventually brown, as the disease progresses and the roots fail; then the plant wilts and eventually collapses" -- can also be explained by cultural glitches. Such as water, too much or too little.

As rhizo said, you should also see "the tell-tale white fuzzy stuff on the soil and stems." Do you? If not, I doubt you have Sclerotium.

Beyond that, where do you live?

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

Have you tried Physan 20? I swear that stuff will cure anything.... I've used it on plants with root rot from overwatering and they came back in time to sell for late summer.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!