Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mallomar_gw

Maggot Infestation in the house

mallomar
14 years ago

Yesterday I noticed a number of 1/2 inch long, white wormy things crawling around aimlessly in the kitchen & family room. I think they are maggots. I vacuumed and washed the floor with a bleach mixture but they were back before the floors even dried. I don't have food around and my trash compactor is clean. I cannot detect where they are coming from. It's like a Stephen King novel. They just appear, only on the floor. The floor is stone tile and the house is only one year old. We had the same thing happen last summer. We live near a horse ranch and we do have fly problems in the summer but we haven't had flies in the house. These maggots in the house are gross. Somebody please tell me what to do!!!

Comments (20)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Can you attach an image? It might help us determine if it is, indeed, a maggot, or some other kind of larvae.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

If what you do have is maggots they are a symptom of a larger problem and are not the problem itself. You need to look deeper to find out what that problem is.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Can they be the larva from pantry moths, like the Indian Meal Moth? Have you checked all your dry goods and/or pet foods? Just a thought.

• jean001
    14 years ago

It was asked "Can they be the larva from pantry moths,"

Typically, such larvae move upward. Often the complaint is "they're coming out the back of the cupboard and moving up the wall."

That said, an image would help us guess more precisely.

• aimee_fla_usa
    14 years ago

Something is rotting somewhere. Call a thorough pest control company, if it happens same time each year- that is an indicator that they are termite larvae?

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Grain moths will nest in light fixtures, and the larvae land on the floor.

Check your pantry, your pet food, and birdfood supplies.

• Rhonda Kirby
    4 years ago

We have them all in the living room bath room and our bedroom and we love in a appartment and i have clean and there is no food or garbage in the house but they still keep coming and i cant find the source of the problem please

• Cornelia Breedt
    3 years ago

Hi.. I just saw this post. I currently have the same problem. I am a clean freak and my house is definitely not rotting... I live in a small apartment next to a corn field. Don't really hace a fly problem either. I keep vacuuming the floor and when I'm done and turn around there's a new one right in the middle of the room!

Can they be falling from the ceiling or lighting? Although I don't see anything?...

• Fori
    3 years ago

Post pictures. Once a critter is identified, you have a better chance of figuring out where it comes from. Most insects don't have very interesting lives so you can learn a lot by just knowing what they are.

• Faceless Juju
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Heres what I'm dealing with in my apt. HeLP

• Faceless Juju
    2 years ago

Not sure if pics coming through

• Faceless Juju
    2 years ago

Pic 2

• Faceless Juju
    2 years ago

Background story. Last Saturday we found a whole bunch crawling, we vacuumed and killed. Then this weekend we tried putting living room rug back and we noticed few crawling. Idk how they survived a whole week in the rug??? So we thought this was finally over then I found another one crawling tonight. I seriously thought the remaining might've been the rug. we poured borax and diatomaceous last wk, they were still crawling........I haven't cooked in a week, I'm so grossed out.

• Faceless Juju
    2 years ago

Also they're roaming only in the living room. Kitchen, bedroom, bathroom clear. We flipped everything in the living room, we idk where they're coming from. I currently have tape strips to prevent them from roaming to the rest of the place. Seems like they're on a mission to do just that.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Ug. I'm thinking those look like genuine maggots. One of my least favorite critters. Totally devoid of charm. Do they walk pointy end first? Are they about rice sized?

It is likely that something died in the wall or under the floor and these guys grew up in it. They usually leave their childhood home to pupate and that might be what these are doing. If that's the case, they really will be gone soon, or at least they'll be flies soon. Look for the puparia (like a chrysalis but without the glamor) next. They look kinda like dark brown grains of rice...if you find those, put a few in a jar so you can take a picture of the adult. :)

• Faceless Juju
    2 years ago

Oh yes I have found lots of puparia kind of ruined rice for me. Just yesterday I found at least 10 flies chilling behind my window curtain. Since you think something died, do you think I'll be having this problem for a while? I dont smell anything funky. I'm undecided about getting the office involved. I'm so embarrassed.

• HU-372866005
    2 years ago

Its crazy but i am having the same problems. how do we get rid if them?

• Clotje
    2 years ago

Same things is happening in my house, they really seem to come out of nowhere. I cleaned the garbage an all the potential source of food but there is nothing. There were tons under the carpet but I don't get what attracted them. I first thougth they were moth larvae but I never saw so many.

• HU-416630069
    last year

I have had the same problem, I am a clean freak!!! Was so disgusted, found them in the edge of carpet by end of house where my girls bedrooms are. I cleaned for 5 hours, sprayed insect spray killed them and them brushed edges of carpet to get spray in and vacuumed, cleaned out my vacuum. Found them in laundry room between two rugs I have in there, I put rugs in large trash bag and disposed of the rugs. I have not seen anymore maggots, but now flies are in the house we are killing 4-5 a day for past 7 days. I am mortified, I never found a source, a large pile of them. I am thinking of tearing up carpet and getting new carpet. Help?????