Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maggot Infestation in the house

Posted by mallomar CA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 14:28

Yesterday I noticed a number of 1/2 inch long, white wormy things crawling around aimlessly in the kitchen & family room. I think they are maggots. I vacuumed and washed the floor with a bleach mixture but they were back before the floors even dried. I don't have food around and my trash compactor is clean. I cannot detect where they are coming from. It's like a Stephen King novel. They just appear, only on the floor. The floor is stone tile and the house is only one year old. We had the same thing happen last summer. We live near a horse ranch and we do have fly problems in the summer but we haven't had flies in the house. These maggots in the house are gross. Somebody please tell me what to do!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maggot Infestation in the house

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 23:12

If they're truly maggots, you likely have something dead in the wall void, under the house, or in the ceiling void or attic.

So just get rid of what you see and understand that the next phase from the ones you missed will be flies. Then all will be well.

o

Can you attach an image? It might help us determine if it is, indeed, a maggot, or some other kind of larvae.

o

If what you do have is maggots they are a symptom of a larger problem and are not the problem itself. You need to look deeper to find out what that problem is.

o

Can they be the larva from pantry moths, like the Indian Meal Moth? Have you checked all your dry goods and/or pet foods? Just a thought.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 23:22

It was asked "Can they be the larva from pantry moths,"

Typically, such larvae move upward. Often the complaint is "they're coming out the back of the cupboard and moving up the wall."

That said, an image would help us guess more precisely.

o

Something is rotting somewhere. Call a thorough pest control company, if it happens same time each year- that is an indicator that they are termite larvae?

o

Grain moths will nest in light fixtures, and the larvae land on the floor.

Check your pantry, your pet food, and birdfood supplies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here