Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wasp Next Ate Roof

Posted by brucegz z5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 04 at 14:52

Holy cannoli. The nest had been growing for several weeks until it got so big I knew I had to deal with it. It was built between 2 beams on the top roof of my post 'n Beam house. It was huge, approx 1.5 feet out and the same wide.

Bought some Ortho spray and another brand that both advertised shooting 20'+. Stood on the top of the ladder a few days ago and let 'em both rip until exhausted. 24 hours later, no activity. Today, a few days later, took a double poled wood trim saw and stood back on the same ladder and started sawing it down. After the bulk of the nest fell down, I was awestruck at what appears to have happened. The nest and it's inhabitants ate completely through the cedar channel siding and up into the roof section that has access to the master BR. During this same period, we've had 2 large brown bats get into the house but I can't figure it was related. Now I've got the wasp nest's flat section through my roof so the next job will be a complete disection and repair. Can't tell exactly how deep it is until I get in there but it doesn't look pretty.

Lesson learned. Kill early, kill clean. Posted this as a warning to others. What a mess!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wasp Next Ate Roof

Incredible. Did you take any pics? What kind of wasps were they? I've got one persistent one around my front porch. At least I think it's only one, have never seen two together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here