Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vadxx001

Digging pest?

vadxx001
9 years ago

Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my yard? the black (dirt) areas were hit by my lawn mower that is why they are flat, but the pest made a mound of dirt originally. I do not see any tunnel entrances. Also know my yard abuts to a pond. Any ideas, and how do i stop these things from damaging my yard further?

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Looks like mole tunnels. Mounds of soil here and there with no entrance hole is common.

• vadxx001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, had a feeling. Any thoughts on how to eradicate or is just going to the home/garden store and looking for mole killer the ticket?

• zzackey
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Moles are digging to find mole crickets, at least in the south. Where do you live. Get rid of the critters they are after. I don't think anything on the market will kill them all.

• vadxx001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply ZZackey. I live in Minnesota. I will be curious to see if they return. Hadn't thought if researching killing the foid source the moles are after. Thanks.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I don't think mole crickets live that far north. Grubs in the soil, maybe? They are chemical granules you can buy to scatter around the yard. I suggest you take this photo to your local agricultural center for a positive ID.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The primary food of moles are earthworms. That's the creature that they are most likely tear up the yard for. But since other soil inhabitants are on the menu, you need to investigate in order to find out what your yard has a lot of.

You need to be very careful about applying anything near a pond, of course. And if earthworms are what they're after, then you'll have to come up with Plan B.........get rid of the moles.

Trapping (harpoon type or similar) seems to have best results.

• vadxx001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rhizo, thank you for your post. The tracks are immediately adjacent to a pond. We will see if they return this spring/summer. If so I'll research trapping. Thank you.

• kimmq
    9 years ago

The single most bestest way to try to control your mole is by trapping. Each mole needs about an acre of territory to supply its needs and that mole will defend that territory vigorously, so even though it may look like a lot of tunneling is going on by many moles it is only one. However, I have some friends that have been trapping moles (several acres of land) for over 40 years and they claim to trap 40 to 50 every year and still have a mole problem. As soon as they eliminate one mole another moves into the vacancy.

Perhaps this link about mole control may be of some help.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html

kimmq is kimmsr

• vadxx001
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kimmq, thanks for the info. I'll do some research. The ground is almost thawed, still frost a foot down. Will wait to see if it returns then let the trapping begin.