Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ladybugs in Greenhouse / Home

Posted by jfraga 95616 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 16:34

Hey guys,

I have a two part post that has ladybugs as the common subjects.

First, I work at a greenhouse with grapevines and they are infested with vine mealybugs. I have been trying to get rid of with cotton swabs and alcohol. It is possible to spray them with chemical to try to kill them but I'm afraid it won't be effective. We have sulfur burners that emit sulfur dioxide to kill certain pests but they don't kill mealybugs. Will the ladybugs survive the sulfur dioxide? I don't want to kill ladybugs willy nilly.

Second, I have a butterfly bush in my house that is infected with an orange aphid and I'm trying to look for ladybugs to kill them off. I usually see them in my rose or chards around may. But I don't seem to find them now. Where can I find some? Can do anything to try to attract them? I don't put chemicals to my plants and I have a pretty good selection of natives. My roses and the butterfly bush have mealybugs. I don't know what else to do that would bring them back.

Thanks,
Joaquin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ladybugs in Greenhouse / Home

Those sulfur fumes will kill off any Lady Beatles, and any other beneficial insects, in the greenhouse. Something most do not consider is that most any pesticide could kill off beneficials as well as the insect pests.
Horticultural oils might be more effective at controlling the Mealybugs then the alcohol.
Aphids are easily controlled by knocking them off a plant with a sharp stream of water. Put that Butterfly Bush in your shower and flush the wee buggers off.

Here is a link that might be useful: About mealybugs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here