Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

What on earth do I have? Animal.

julianna_il
15 years ago

Something dug up a patch of ground against the house foundation, starting on one side of a deck porch, where some shrubs (yews I think) end, went under the deck and out the other side, stopping where more yews are. The deck is surrounded by lattice, but there's one spot where it's got a piece of a slat missing. Small hole, though.

It looks as if I tilled it up.

Before, it was kind of an area of litter congregation: stray fall leaves, a few small weeds, some sticks, etc. Under the porch/deck thing it's impossible to get to because of the lattice. I don't even know how leaves get in there. All of the debris seems to be gone.

At first we thought cable or somebody had dug under there, but 1) they wouldn't dig without letting us know 2) we would have heard machinery or something 3) they couldn't get in there without removing the porch.

It has to be some kind of animal.

I have a squirrel that lives in my tree, and he's a pest, but we tolerate each other. I've never known a squirrel to dig like that. I have lots of birds, and there IS (or maybe was) safflower seeds and shells from feeders down in there.

This is an area probably from one foot to four feet wide by about 6-8 feet long. I'd like to hire the animal to dig me some new flower beds. He did a nice job.

Even weirder, there ARE flower beds around the area with blooming lilies, daisies and other flowers. Didn't touch them.

Anyone have a clue what this could be? I couldn't see any kind of an opening to a tunnel, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. This is not an easy area to view....I was lying on the steps trying to stick my head between stairs to get a good look.

And this is a suburb, not at all rural. But lots of old trees.

I'm stumped.

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

That lattice work will allow many of the smaller critters to use the area that is supposed to be protecting without any trouble at all, all of the lattice work around my house is backed up with flat black painted plywood which keeps the out really well. What dug around your bed could be anything from a raccoon to a skunk, the only way to know for sure would be to see it.

• julianna_il
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, kimmsr! Any tips on trying to catch a glimpse of the animal?

I'm inclined to live in harmony with any of these critters, but I do need to make sure nothing is going to do damage to the foundation of the house, stuff like that.

I actually like raccoons. Would it be a bad thing to feed one?

Our former neighbors had a pit bull and little chihuaha behind a good fence. The pit bull was actually my buddy. Once they moved, the squirrels moved in, and now this mystery animal. I miss those dogs!

• julianna_il
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Apparently during the night s/he made a burrow. It looks like a little tunnel with openings on both ends. Openings maybe four inches in diameter (I'm not that good in measure judgments) and the tunnel about ten inches long.

Does this narrow it down? LOL.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Have you detected any skunks in the area? They have an odor even when they don't spray. Gophers come to mind, too. I'd say armadillo, if you weren't so far up Nawth, lol!

Yes, it would be a mistake to feed a raccoon. Not only can they be destructive, but they bring with them fleas and other parasites, as well as diseases. And all of their friends, once the word gets out that you are providing handouts.

• julianna_il
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Definitely not a skunk; haven't smelled a thing.

My uncle came over and thinks it's a groundhog. He's on his way back over with his "Have a Heart" trap.

I'm not sure relocating is having a heart, even with a groundhog. Anyone know?

• julianna_il
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My uncle brought over his humane trap and he was in it within ten minutes.

It's a groundhog.

My uncle just returned and put him in the trunk of his car to relocate the little fellah. He said he was an older one because he had gray hair.

I was really sad and my uncle promised to take him to a nice place with water and good cover, plus leave the vegetables he'd used in the trap.

Goodbye my friend. I'm sorry you had to enter witness protection, but you tore up a lot of my area and made a big hole. I hope you'll have a nice life in the nature preserve and find a lady friend.

He was SO CUTE, even with his nasty rat teeth. I wanted to make him into a pet, but I was not allowed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Groundhog