Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_lisa_gw

cally lily roting

anna_lisa
18 years ago

Hi I have about 40 cally lily in a row in one by one they are going yellow and dieing and the bulbs is roting. They are not even finish flowering one person told me it was a bacteria in the soil. Does anybody know where i can fine out more information on how to get rid of the bacteria or if next year the bacteria will still be there after a cold winter. I would like more information on this Thank you Anna Lisa

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

The only real way to find out if you have a bacterial situation or a fungus disease is to have your bulbs examined by a laboratory. A cold winter won't help control either of those situations.

• anna_lisa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Everybody I thought i would let you know what i did. I brought it in to a garden center and they told me it was a bacterial. They told me to spray next year before i plant with defender. Also plant my cally lily in pots so the bacteria does not spread from one to another or put them not in a row plant 2 or 3 then a annual then another 2or 3 I also had begonias in frount of the cally lily and that also got the bacteria but not as bad they seem to be a stronger plant. i have dug up about 30 of them the min. I see the leaves go yellow and soggy up it comes. then I clean it and let it dry and I hope it will be ok for next year I have lost about 15. ( a lesson to be learned ) thank you bye for now anna lisa

• jean001
    18 years ago

Bacteria? But you didn't say anything about the rotted callas smelling really bad. And they should. And I mean *really* bad!

If no icky smell, then likely an environmental glitch -- such as soil too wet.

Although I must add that the large white callas grow streamside in their native habitat (but they do have good drainage rather than standing water) whereas the callas with colored blooms tend to be more sensitive to wet soils.

So, which do you have? The large whites or the smaller colored forms?

Also, because I'm not familiar with your temperatures, I have to ask if they survive your winters outdoors. Or are you trying to grow them as annuals, then take indoors for the winter?

• anna_lisa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI I live in quebec canada where the tempertures goes blow -40 in Jan. That why I asked if it will kill the bacteria but I will not take the change I will put them in pots next year and and put the pot in the ground cause they made a beautiful show in my front bed I have pictures of it. I have about 10 different colors. They do smell icky when I dig them up I clean they off with water then wipe them down with rubbing alcohal and let them dry in the sun for 24 hours outside. I'am just hopeing they can pull throught the winter storage I know they are strong little bulbs. I have been growing them for about 5 years now and I really love these flowers. I'am hoping to win this battle And I don't think its from over water. Anna lisa

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm