Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleanliving_gw

Avoid Rotenone Please

cleanliving
13 years ago

Hey guys,

I've read a few messages about the wonders of rotenone and am wondering if I'm reading inserts from Industrial interests in the chemical. Please use this compound only with the utmost care and not at all if you can avoid it! It is NOT safe.

Take a peek at all the information on it in the NIH library. We have used it for years to create models of Parkinsons, a chronic neurodegenerative disorder. It is also used acutely to kill fish (and other susceptible organisms). Please opt for something much safer for pest control. Rotenone is extremely outdated.

thanks for listening!

All for safer living...

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Honestly, I don't think I've seen a posting about Rotenone this whole year....until now. I guess I've missed them. It's a chemical that should never be recommended, and is not readily found on the retail market anymore, I don't believe.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

It has been and it is readily available in many places. I have been telling many peole for 10 years now tht Rotenone is not an acceptable organic pesticide only to be told by some that it is, because it is a "natural" pesticide. So is Arsenic.

• jean001
    13 years ago

Rotenone has only limited uses left for home use. Soon to be a restricted-use chemical, not available for home use.

I had heard rumors so emailed the Oregon Dept of Agriculture for facts.

This is, in part, is the response ---

"Back in 2007, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the companies that sell products containing rotenone made the decision to cancel all livestock, residential/homeowner, domestic pet, and all other uses of rotenone except for "fish-kill" uses. This decision has been gradually implemented since that time."

And more --
    "In Oregon, for products containing rotenone, as of this date: We still have two (2) home/garden products registered for use on fruits/vegetables, one (1) product registered for use on pets (dog/cat/rabbit), and one (1) product registered for commercial agricultural use on fruit/vegetable crops. There is a final cancellation action pending at EPA that proposes that all of these products will no longer be allowed to be SOLD after May 2011."

• danzeb
    10 years ago

If Rotenone is not good to use what can be used to kill beetles in the flower garden without killing bees?

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Which beetles?
    Are they pests, beneficials, or innocuous?
    In addition to rotenone other "natural" pesticides, such as pyrethrins, spinosad, ryania, and some others are just as broad spectrum as the synthetic poisons. Others, Neem oil and the bacteriums, are less toxic although some claim they are non toxic. However, if a substance kills something it is not non toxic.
    Identify what you have and decide whether it is a good or bad bug and if it needs to be poisoned and then find the least toxic (to you) method of control.

• danzeb
    10 years ago

Maybe my question wasn't clear so I will state it more precisely.

I want Japanese, Oriental and Asiatic beetles to die when they are on and attack plants in a flower garden. Is there an insecticide that will do that without killing bees?

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Nope. The best option is a pyrethrum based insecticide used with due care so you do not spray when bees are active.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

You can buy a Japanese beetle trap. They worked really well for me when I lived in Pa.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Japanese Beetle traps actually attract the beetles to your yard and garden.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area